jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Chic Ways to Brand Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

So have you thought about what you’re doing after graduation? And have you thought about jobs? Good, now what makes you so special from the other ten million people who applied? Don’t start talking up a storm about the six clubs you were in, the three awards you recieved, or the immense amount of experience you have. Although those attributes of yourself are important, we need to focus on how we’re going to get the employer to WANT to take a look at you and how we’re going to keep you in their mind among the other hundreds or thousands of hard workers. By branding yourself, or in other words giving yourself a unique style, an employer will be able to associate your name with the visually appealing brand you’ve easily created with these simple tips!

1. Kick Ass Resume

Your resume should not be filled with words top to bottom. Would you want to read that while going through a stack a mile high? No, so your employer doesn’t want to either. Create a resume that catches the interest of someone who just walked into the office on a Monday morning… meaning add some color (no more than three) and add some graphics! Depending on the field you’re applying to, you can adjust your resume as seen fit. Meaning a fashion designer can add their sketches, but a financial anaylst should probably stick to charts and graphs. Pinterest is chock full of ideas.

2. Instagram Theme

Instagram has basically become the apprentice to your resume. Again, depending on your field, the importance of this can be crucial. For those in fashion, communications, public relations, and all fields related, having a cohesive Instagram can help your potential employer to know you on a personal level. Not to mention, a great theme is one people will remember. Download VSCO from the app store and edit your photos in the same way. Get some different shots on there as well… selfie after selfie is not very creative!

3. Spreading Positivity

It’s been said time and time again, but for some reason people are just not getting it… especially in light of recent political events. Employers DO look at your social media platforms to get a grasp of the type of person you are. If you bashing people on Facebook or constantly complaining on Twitter, this leaves a bad taste in an employers mouth. With the tons of other people who applied for the same job, they’ll easily throw your application out. Many employers look for reasons to weed potentials out to come down to the select few they’ll interview versus going through the stack to find a favorite. Don’t let your social media presence be the reason you didn’t get the job!

4. Showcasing Passion

If you’re into fashion, be tweeting about it! If you’re into sports, be posting related articles! If you’re into marketing, be tweeting, retweeting, favoriting, liking, posting, and reposting about the latest tips, tricks, and hacks for marketing enthusiasts. You want your profiles to showcase what you’re passionate about, which includes personal hobbies as well as career interests. This shows an employer that you’re dedicated to the field and will be putting 110% of your heart and soul into the job!

5. Girl Boss Lipstick

Create your own signature style! Splurge on that pricey lipstick from Sephora and own that color, in more way than one! You want people to associate that color with you… so even when you’re not around, they’ll still be thinking of you when that color passes them by. This is just a fun way for people to remember you in the best way, a girl boss way! This doesn’t just apply to lipstick though, maybe your unique accessory is a hat or big glasses! Whatever it is, show it off everywhere to make it synonymous with your name!

Just always be the best version of yourself and never lose sight of your girl boss goals.

Katie Kinslow

South Carolina

Communicator, award-winning time waster, avid Cheez-it eater, Pinterest zombie, Halloween enthusiast, passionate writer, and shopoholic who probably needs professional help. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina