3 Ways to Give Back During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As the leaves change and Christmas lists pile up, the holiday season has officially begun.  Many of us find ourselves in the same cycle of scrambling to write cards and buy the perfect gifts for friends and loved ones. To avoid the stress this year and put a bigger smile on someone’s face, go the extra mile to make a deeper impact than just a simple “thank you”.  

1.  Volunteer Locally

During the holidays, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement. We often take for granted the food on our plates and warm roofs over our heads. In your local community, there are hundreds of people who don’t have the luxury of having a Thanksgiving feast or a Christmas list. Local shelters need your help! Donating your time to prepare a home cooked meal for someone will make a greater impact than donating canned goods.

2. “Thank You” Jar

Nothing says thank you better than a hand-written note.  For this craft, you will need paper, scissors, a writing utensil, and a clear mason jar. Cut out 365 strips of paper and  fill each strip of paper with a personalized note to a deserving person! These notes can range from inside jokes to compliments to words of wisdom and anything in between. Fill the mason jar with the paper strips and seal it. Present this jar as a gift so that someone can be reminded of your gratitude once a day for the next year.

3. Make a playlist

A homemade CD is a classic throwback that will put a smile on anyone’s face. Giving the gift of music is universal – everyone loves it and it’s hard to go wrong. By making a playlist for a specific person, clear thought and effort have been put into the gift. A themed playlist can be used on a regular basis, showing your thoughtfulness long after the holiday season is over.

Sarah Westbrook

South Carolina

Sarah Westbrook is a senior at the University of South Carolina. She majors in Marketing with a minor in PR and Advertising, and hopes to one day open up a cupcake boutique. She loves baking, snuggling with dogs, watching Criminal Minds, and Carolina Game Days!!!
SC Contributor

South Carolina