This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Disney Channel has created some of the most profitable franchises in history, having High School Musical bring in over $279 million in movies alone. The movies have greatly evolved from a 2006 television release to the 2010 blockbuster hit of HSM3, making the hopes of High School Musical 4 soar through the roof. Unfortunately, there is a tiny Troy Bolton yelling in the back of my head saying this is going to be a disaster.

Most sequels that Disney produces do not do very well, especially if they are a Disney Channel Original Movies. Seeing the positive High School Musical 2 outcome, it was brave enough to have a third movie be released in theaters. Even the third movie was a great success not only to the young kids of 2008 but the kids who had been watching two years prior. The company saw the popularity and ran with it (rightfully so) and they ran the movies only a year apart.

Having this quartet of movies may bring down what Disney once had, as there is little to no relation with the original storyline. The new movie may appeal to the old fans of the first three movies, but I see a large disappointment coming their way once the credits begin to roll. The original cast is no longer involved, E!Online Describes the upcoming cast as:

“Erin is a badass soccer player who strives for excellence—and the only girl on the boys’ team. She starts falling for the bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks, but isn’t sure whether to follow her heart.

Derek, the aforementioned bad boy who falls for Erin, is tough on the surface but a soft-hearted family guy at his core. He’s an excellent soccer player and incredible dancer who teaches dance classes to little girls at his family’s studio.

Campbell is Troy Bolton 2.0—super hot soccer captain and theater star who also happens to be Sharpay and Ryan Evans’ cousin. He decides that he wants to date Erin, and isn’t too happy when she wants to be with Derek instead.

Nathalie is East High’s biggest fan, a loyal, outgoing cheerleader and big-hearted BFF to Erin.

Tamara is East High’s former queen bee, a cheer squad member attempting to climb back up the social ladder and reclaim all the attention for herself.”

Without the original cast, what is the necessity to name it another High School Musical? I understand they are in high school, and there will be singing, but I think we can all agree this movie just should not be made. The first three were profitable, and I think it is time for Disney Channel to call it a day and not put any more money into this.

Cassandra is a current Senior at Sonoma State majoring in Communications and Liberal Studies. She plans to excel in her career in either hospitality or journalism, as she currently works at a resort in Calistoga. Loves fine dining and hopes to travel the world and someday get paid for it. 
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.