This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Stay Safe on Campus

Everyone in their college career has to a night class or study late in the library in the library. Our campus can be scary at night, with our minimal lights. Here are 8 ways to stay safe on campus.

1.     Use the emergency blue poles.

Take advantage of the blue poles around campus. If you feel unsafe in a location on campus, press the red button on those blue poles that has “EMERGENCY” down it, and a police officer will be with you in 5 to 10 minutes to walk you to your destination.

2.     Be aware of your surroundings

Being distracted on your cell phone or electronic device while walking to your destination can be dangerous. That means, keeping your eyes on the environment around you and not on your cell phones.

3.     Have mace on hand

If you are ever put in a situation where you feel unsafe, it’s nice to know you have an option of using mace to protect yourself.

4.     Walk with a friend

It’s better to have a buddy to walk with because it’s less likely for someone to attack two people at the same time.

5.     Always tell someone where you are and where you are heading

Sometime you don’t have a buddy to walk with, but you should always tell someone where you are at on campus and where you are going. Also, update them when you reach your location as well so they know you are safe.

6.     Walk as fast as you can.

Try to get your destination as fast as you can. The faster the better.

7.     Take advantage of police services

You don’t even have to go outside of a building and find a blue pole, just call police services while still in a building and they can walk with you to your location. Also, take advantage of security apps on your phone. For example, SafeTrek, it’s an app where you hold the home button on your phone while walking, if you let go of the home button you have a few seconds to enter a four digit code to not alert the police, but if you don’t the police is contacted and will track you by your location GPS on your cell phone.

8.     If you have to, FIGHT!

If you are ever in a situation where you are being attacked, fight back. Scream and yell so someone can hear you and fight off the person until you have the opportunity to run.

Hope these tips can help to prepare you to be safe on campus. No matter where you are, on campus or in Rohnert Park, use these tips to stay as safe as possible.

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.