“Sorry, I’m tired because of who I am as a person”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

“I’m sorry I’m late/tired/busy/tired/exhausted/behind/did I mention tired, it’s just who I am as a person.”

If you find yourself saying stuff like this on a daily basis, you might just be a busy person! You probably have the tendency to talk on too many responsibilities. If you relate to Liz Lemon in any way, this article is for you.

The most important step in relieving stress is to learn the warning signs of overburdening:

1. You suddenly realize at 4 PM while walking into a meeting that you literally have not eaten today (that leftover Halloween candy you automatically inhaled while emailing your professor does not count)

2. You’re eating Milky Ways for breakfast and all water has been replaced by something with caffeine (tea and coffee have water in them don’t they?!)

3. You can’t remember the last time you weren’t moving

4. Your roommates think you moved out/died/hate them for some reason/locked yourself in your room and haven’t moved in days.

5. Your presence at home is noted by intermittent screaming, crying, sounds of paper tearing, and a PMSing velociraptor screeching.

6. You have to reschedule your reschedules.

7. Your method of relaxing is planning your day out hour by hour, often more than once a day.

8. You do homework/work for one class while sitting in another class.

If you answered yes to any/all of the above, you may be an over-committer. So now what?

1. Learn to say no. I know, I know. It feels like quitting and MAMA DIDN’T RAISE NO QUITTER GOD DAMMIT. But it’s actually really ok to say no. It’s ok to re-prioritize. It’s ok to let your friends take the backseat sometimes if you’re having a particularly hellish week; if they’re really your friends they’ll understand. This is not to say that you should blow them off entirely and grow a long white beard and become a hermit (although growing out your leg hair is a great alternative amiright)

2. Drink so much water!!! I find that I snack more when I drink less water, because I think I’m hungry, not dehydrated. So go dust off the old Nalgene that you bought to recover from that one day-rager and go to town.

3. Unplug. Mute your phone, log out of your email, turn off your laptop, and just sit. Let yourself focus on yourself, and where you are at that moment. Just being present and focusing on your breathing and letting your thoughts go will really take a load off. You can even find guided relaxation recordings on YouTube that can help you chill out, and maybe even take a nap! Yet another great way to relax. Just take a few minutes and ignore everyone else.

4. Treat yo’self. Let yourself watch a movie, talk to your roommates face to face, call your parents, go to Target. Whatever floats your boat!

5. Go outside. Get sunlight. Even if you just sit in a window and read, natural sunlight will automatically perk you up. If you can, go stick your bare feet in dirt or grass, and breathe deep.