I free-boobed for a day and here’s how it went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Okay so to start out, this article will be filled with TMI. Now that you are prepared, here we go.  So the first challenge was choosing which day of the week I was going to take on this endeavor.  By the time I was thinking about when to do it, Monday had already passed, I couldn’t do it Tuesday because I had work and I have it engraved into my brain that that would have been inappropriate, so I decided to do it Wednesday, when I didn’t have work and only had a few classes.  

I was kind of excited honestly.  I had read an article about free-boobing a couple weeks earlier, which is what inspired this experiment, and I was thinking it wasn’t going to be that bad.  I picked out a shirt that wouldn’t make it too obvious I wasn’t wearing a bra, I put on the rest of my clothes, and I felt surprisingly free.  The only time I really ever go totally braless is at my dorm around my roommates, and obviously, they never say anything, but I always feel weird about it even though it is relaxing.  

So I went out into the world braless.  This wasn’t the first time I had done this, but the past when I have done it, I was wearing a thick sweatshirt and walking over to the laundry room, or something simple like that.  I had never intentionally not worn a bra and gone out into the world for an entire day.  At the beginning of the day, it was a little chilly so I wore a flannel, which made me feel a little more comfortable, and I went to my classes.  I rode by bike to a few of them, which was an adventure in itself, and I got through the first part of my day successfully.  In the afternoon I had to table for the HerCampus monthly survival kit and it was super hot outside…like, the underboob sweat was real.  At this point, I was thinking I was going to call it quits and put a bra on, but I ain’t no quitter. I made it through another class and sitting in the library for two hours writing a paper and going to dinner with some friends, so in that sense, the experiment was a success.

I wouldn’t say I’m happy with the results though.  I thought it was going to be a freeing and life changing experience, but boy was I wrong.  Maybe it was just the day I did it, but for the most part, I did not enjoy it at all.  I don’t think I have the right boobs to just go braless with all the time, unfortunately.  I did like the fact that I didn’t feel the constrictions of a bra all day, but I just felt a little too exposed overall.  Who knows, maybe one day I’ll work into it if I decide to, but for now, I’ll just keep wearing my Victoria’s Secret bra that I haven’t washed in months that doesn’t quite fit right and at times digs into my skin.