How My Suite Mate Became My Second Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I came into freshman year not having any expectations for roommates.  I just wanted to live with people who were friendly and clean, if I was considering the bare minimum of my expectations.  When I finally got into the dorms, I found that it was going to be a real struggle.  One of the girls in my dorm was from my high school thankfully.  We were good friends in high school so that helped make the transition a little easier.  At first, I found it hard to connect with all the other girls because they were such strangers.  I had a class with one of them, so that helped, but I didn’t necessarily click with any of the other girls until about two months into the semester.

By then the girl I had a class with had moved out and there was 6 of us left in the room.  I wasn’t too close to my actual roommate, but we got along just fine.  Then there was one afternoon when one of the girls in the triple, who never actually left her room, was playing video games in the living room.  I came out to do some cleaning and we started talking, well she actually did most of the talking, and I listened for a while.  She sounded kind of angry when she was talking and it made me nervous because I was never really sure if she was angry at me or not.  Weeks later I realized that was just the way she talked to everyone 24/7, not just me.  I have a talent for taking things really personally with her help, I’ve been able to put that to rest.  

After months of being around her all the time and trying to understand her, which I tend to do a lot, I had developed a pretty solid understanding of her personality, and who she was in general.  She’s the kind of person that doesn’t have many friends, but the friends she does have are very special to her.  She’s very introverted and doesn’t like hugs or being comforted.  She likes dogs and Hamilton a lot.  I learned almost half the soundtrack for her, and now we song Hamilton while we walk to the cafeteria, or if we’re bored in her room.  Most people become friends with their suitemates, but this one has become like my second sister.  She’s a friend, but a lot more than that.  She’s real with me in a way that no one else is, and I’ve grown to appreciate that.  I take a lot fewer things personally, and I feel like I’m growing as a person in certain ways because of her.  While she may have entered my life less than a year ago as my suitemate, I think of her as my second sister.

Thanks for being that for me Katherine,

Christiiiiiiiineeeeeeee