This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

When I first started college at the beginning of this semester, I never realized how homesick I would be and how it would change me.

I have always been very close with my family, though I didn’t realize this until I moved away for college. Not being waken up by my brother at 5 in the morning was what first made me realize how far away I was from home. I have been used to being around my family every single day, but suddenly I was only able to see their faces through a computer screen. Moving away from home to a place where you don’t know anyone scared me. I felt lost and alone by myself so far from home.

By the end of my first week, I was convinced that I wanted to drop out of college and go back home. I would walk back to my dorm from my classes just wishing that I would walk into my dorm room and see my family waiting for me. Sadly, that wish never really happened. As the months passed, I continued to feel homesick. Even after I visited my family at the end of September, I came back to college crying and wishing I never had to leave my family.

It wasn’t until my visit home during Thanksgiving break that I noticed a change in my homesickness. When I first got back after the long break, I wasn’t upset like I had been the first time I visited home. As soon as I got into my dorm room, I immediately got to work on an essay that I had not finished. It took me a few days to realize how at home I felt at college.

When I first started college, I had no one to talk to and felt uncomfortable in my classes. Fast forward to now: I have a wonderful group of friends that I get dinner with every night, I absolutely love my classes (and my professors), and I am excelling in my work. Just recently I have been able to realize how much my life has changed over the course of just 4 short months. My homesickness is what made me make friends, which eventually led me to become happier here in college. My homesickness is what caused me to excell in my classes, since I knew that that is what my parents would want me to do. My homesickness changed me, matured me, and transformed me.