jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Costumes for the Socially Conscious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Halloween is approaching FAST. With the rising awareness of cultural appropriation and the importance of not using other cultures as a costume, a lot of traditional options are out. No Native American costumes, no Geisha girls, no bellydancer/Indian girls, and for the love of God no black/brownface. If you want an easy costume that won’t appropriate any cultures (or feature pipe-cleaner cat ears and eyeliner cat makeup) look no further.

1. Cat.

Ok I know I said this list wouldn’t involve cat ears, BUT COME ON. It’s a collegiate classic and it’s so versatile. You could do any species of cat, a sexy cat, a Cat Lady Cat, nerdy cat, famous cats??? There are so many options! Run with it. Or bat it around and knock it off the counter while channeling your inner cat.

2. Witch

Again, SO versatile. If three of you are going out, you can be the witches of Hocus Pocus! Bonus points for making a classic Halloween movie reference. If you’re solo you can get wild and sexy, or you can embrace your inner crone and go to town with green face paint (note, not brown/black face) and a wart. Either way, you get to wear a kickass hat and carry around a broom to sweep away the drunken fuckboys.

3. Ruth Vader Ginsburg

Yes, you heard me. Darkness meets light, Vader vs Notorious RBG. Wear a black cape with a white polo underneath letting the collar poke out, throw on a pearl necklace (good excuse to go to Claire’s), and carry a lightsaber. Easy peasy!

4. Pothead

Wear a pot on your head. Maybe find a way to make your eyes really red *cough* TADAA

5. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

If you and your roommate or BFF are going out together, be the ultimate dynamic duo with these two. Be Liz Lemon from 30 Rock and Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec, channel your inner Sister’s characters, who knows!

6. Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton (vs. Bernie)

If you need a third, throw in Bernie Sanders! For The Donald, get your hair nice and wispy in a combover, bronze the hell out of your face, and duckface all night. Wear a tie that looks like its the only one you own, and you’re photo ready! For Hillary, whip out a pantsuit (hello thrift store) and just correct The Donald all night. For Bernie, slap on a casual suit and some glasses and carry around a stuffed bird. Throw it at people and yell “IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME DAMMIT”. All set!

7. The cast of Bob’s Burgers

This one is great because you probably have all the necessary clothes in your closet. For the tough bits like Louise’s hat, try hitting up Hot Topic, or DIY your own with pipe cleaners and pink fabric. Voices required. “Oh my god”.

8. Ken Bone

According to the media, Ken Bone won the second presidential debate. Our newest social darling wears a white polo under a red sweater, khakis, glasses, and a sweet ass mustache. Talk only about energy policy and creating more jobs. I think Ken Bone and Kim K would make a great couple, as they both have risen to fame for nothing more than their drop-dead gorgeous appearances.

9. Snapchat

Easy peasy, just do your makeup like your favorite snapchat filter! Incorporate props like an actual flower crown or puppy ears. Get ready to pose for pics!

10. BONUS! Clowns

DO NOT DRESS UP AS A CLOWN. I REPEAT. DO NOT DRESS UP AS A CLOWN. You will get pepper-sprayed. Thank you.

I'm Suzie, and I'm a senior at Sonoma State University! I'm a Peer Mentor, a member of SSU's Equestrian team, cat lover, tea drinker, avid book reader. I'm an anthropology major pursuing a career in higher education and student affairs as an advocate for student programs with a focus on diversity, mental health, and sexual assault awareness. I'm excited to gain experience learning about and raising awareness of current campus issues through writing for HerCampus!
Contributor account for HC Sonoma