Essential Oil Guideline for College Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

An interview with an experienced esthetician, Cassie Rose Cornett, gave Her Campus a unique view into what this essential oil hype is really about: “The uses are really endless, that is why this is such a huge wellness craze because you can literally reorganize and replace your medicine cabinet”!

The first important aspect when trying out essential oils is to find 100% distilled oils; it would be only made up of the plant it was extracted from. The biggest difference between essential oils and aromatherapy would be the percentage of the derived plant; Aromatherapy can contain other factors and can be mixed with other products like soap, lotion, deodorant, etc.

You can use oils in plenty of different ways and in your pivotal college years they can be life changing. Applying them to cooking, your body, hair, soaking bath, or a massage can create a better outcome for all situations. Make sure to only use a drop or two, as they are extremely potent (especially with cooking) and you do not need much to receive the outcome you are looking for.

A few examples were to use Eucalyptus to clear your chest cough and Tea Tree to use as anti-fungal (you can diffuse into the air dorm rooms to clear bacteria). Citrus based oils are the most affordable for college students and the most versatile, though make sure you are using high quality product and always read the label to know if it is safe to ingest or if it safe to use as a topical oil. The citrus based oils (like lemon, orange or grapefruit) can be refreshing in the summer to use in cooking or topically, however, the sun will be intensified with these oils so make sure to stay in the shade when you apply it to your skin or the sun will burn you quickly. Also, make sure to keep your oils away from direct heat as this will ruin the product, and do not touch the tops of the bottle, as it is easy for bacteria to spread.

The most popular oils are lavender, peppermint, and lemon and they are also some of the most versatile. These can be used across the spectrum, one of Cassie’s favorites is mixing the oil with baking soda or salt to make your own scrub or soak!

Fun Facts:

-Rosemary is considered sacred by ancient Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans, as it is known as “Fond Remembrance”. This can help you remember with ease while studying! Make sure to use the oil during the test as well.

– Lavendin has been recently known to help with depression; this is extracted from the lavender plant and has been used previously in medical settings since it can help fight infection.

Overtime, you will find what you like best and you will further understand the outcomes once you decide what you’re looking for. Be careful with how much you apply to yourself and research the oil you are looking for to make sure you do not over-use the product. Remember, less is more!

Esthetician biography: Cassie Rose Cornett

Cassie has been a certified esthetician for six years, and a cosmetologist for three. Currently, she works as an esthetician and massage therapist at a five star resort, is a small business owner and has made her own essential oils. The line Cassia or Cassis is derived from Cinnamon bark and Rose, which is of known as the queen floral essense. She personally became certified in an AromaTouch technique about 5 years ago, this treatment is about placing specific oil blends on the body for a deeply healing, relaxing, and detoxifying experience

From Cassie:

“There a few more uses for essential oils; weight loss for ex thr slim and Sassy blend is meant to be used with exercise program to skim down by digesting and blocking fat from being absorbed and also encouraging metabolism. Another use is for upset stomach; the blend from DoTerra is called digestzen and has ginger, fennel, taragon, peppermint and more. The uses are really endless, that is why this is such a huge wellness craze because you can literally reorganize and replace your medicine cabinet. But lastly, the biggest use for college students is income. DoTerra for example can make it so easy to share with friends, and then get paid commissions just for sharing. I personally know women that make $6,000 and upwards a month by sharing and supporting their passion of this company with friends and family!” 

Please take time to read testimonials and wonderful stories online. Her direct website for ordering and reading more about quality oils is at www.mydoterra.com/cassiarose

Sponser ID #306201

Cassandra is a current Senior at Sonoma State majoring in Communications and Liberal Studies. She plans to excel in her career in either hospitality or journalism, as she currently works at a resort in Calistoga. Loves fine dining and hopes to travel the world and someday get paid for it. 
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.