This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

It would be impractical for me to sit here and assume girls want to wear makeup everyday; because we don’t. It seems to be the most time-consuming task girls face when getting ready for class in the morning. So it seems simple enough to just skip it and walk out the door. However, putting on makeup before class doesn’t need to be longest part of your routine. In only 10 minutes, this routine is sure to get you off to class while looking refreshed and ready for the long day ahead.

Step 1: Wash your face. This should already be in your daily morning routine, but washing your face is the very first thing you should do when waking up in the morning. It will give you a burst of energy and make putting makeup on your face that much easier.

Step 2: Prime. Prime. Prime. I can’t say it enough. There are so many makeup primers for so many skin types and budgets that you can and will be able to find the perfect one for you. For dry skin, always reach for a primer with an illuminating and hydrating base. For oily skin types, your keyword is going to be matte. Matte primers make it less likely that your face will get shiny, and it keeps your makeup on all day.

Step 3: Use a BB cream. Heavy, full coverage foundations are not ideal for everyday wear. If that’s your thing, then you go for it! For a more natural look though, BB or CC creams are going to be your best friends. BB, or beauty balm, is a very light coverage foundation that sometimes has moisturizers, SPF, and other skin benefits included. CC, or color correcting cream, helps cancel out redness and imperfections without weighing down your face. Either one you choose, both will give just the right amount of coverage for class. For a flawless and light application, use a beauty sponge. These are used by running the sponge under hot water and making it damp.

Step 4: Shape your brows. I didn’t learn much about brow care until I was in college. Before that, nothing had ever touched my brows. It’s such a simple step that could transform your look and help add shape and dimension to your face. Start with running a spoolie brow tool through your brows and then begin to fill them in with brow powder that matches best with your brow color. Giving them shape is important but if you don’t want to spend too much time, just a quick fill will do the trick.

Step 5: Coat those lashes. Mascara seems to be the staple for every girl. It’s the one product that seems to in every girl’s makeup collection and is used on a daily basis. From what I have come to learn, drugstore mascaras can be just as good as high-end ones. For me personally, any mascara will do the trick and give my lashes just the right amount of volume and length. So throw on that mascara and make your eyes look brighter and more awake.

Step 6: Set everything in place. I know a lot of girls think that setting spray is just basically water in a bottle but I believe it is the glue that holds everything together (literally). Setting sprays help your makeup sit better on your face and works to avoid the “cake face” that is every girl’s worst nightmare. Along with that, a setting spray with rose water or aloe will help calm the skin and make it feel more hydrated. Not only will your skin feel more awake, but your makeup is going to last the entire school day.

Dog lover, sorority girl, and makeup obsessed.You can find me at the local taco bell or in my bed sleeping.
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.