Credit Cards: Friend or Foe?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Here are some reasons on why you should get a Credit Card, sooner rather than later.

The deal is… getting a credit card can seem rather stressful. I honestly didn’t know what it meant, and wouldn’t have gotten one unless my mom had sat me down and made me do it. (Thanks mom.) But there are a lot of great reasons to get a credit card and here are a few of them. Know that having good credit could only help you.

You Need to Establish Credit…

This means, as I have come to understand it, that you are good for your money. You make your payments. Establishing credit at the ground level can help you get a car, a house, a rental. People like to know that you are dependable with regular payments before they give you something that will require you to have more of them, like a car payment or a rent payment or a mortgage.

Good in case of an emergency.

I am not saying that the purse being on sale is an emergency, but if your car breaks down or you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, having that credit card on hand is so helpful. It allows you to make good payments and pay them off over a longer period of time.

Your future.

If you are thinking about getting a job in certain fields they might run your credit score. It also can limit your ability to have an expense account with a company as well.

It is important to be selective for what you use your credit card on, and what type you get. Apply for one at the bank you currently use. Talk to your parents about what they suggest, if they own a car or a house then they have had a credit card. Also call your bank and see what they have available, there are college credit cards that have limits of $200.00 dollars, a great start. Your limit can go up too.

Be regular about what you use your Credit card for. Don’t use it like a debit card. You are spending money you might not have, if you go overboard. I use mine for gas and travel. Be selective and the faster you pay it off, the higher your score gets. A happy money cycle that proves you are a good investment. 

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.