5 Common Myths about Communication Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.
  1. Communications majors have it easy

A lot of the time when I tell someone that I am a COMS major, I get scoffed at because of how “easy” my major is.  I don’t think people realize that Communications is a mixture of many different fields including journalism, PR, business strategy etc. and an understanding of how to use them all.

1. Don’t you just study instagram…?

OMG NO! We don’t study instagram or twitter, we study social media and how it affects the masses.  Want to know why you saw an insta post from Sephora that made you want to buy a new brow kit? Because their social media advisor who probably majored in communications knew that posting that picture at that exact time on that exact date would make mostly women age 15-25 want said product because they all want (insert celebrity name) brows…And they make anywhere from a $30,000 to $80,000 salary for it.

1. People go into communications because they don’t know what to do for a career.

I’m not gonna lie, communications is a great major to go into if you’re sort of on the fence because their are so many career options, but most of us do know what we want to do with it.  Personally I want to be a journalist, but I know people who want to be news anchors or work in PR or publishing and the list goes on.

1. Communications is a useless degree

Like I said, you can do a lot with a communications degree; actually you can do almost anything! Personally I believe that communications is one of the most useful degrees out their because it combines critical thinking and strategy skills to everyday life.

1. People who don’t know what to declare, declare COMS.

Lots of people don’t stick with the major they first declared as a freshman and that’s ok! I know so many upperclassmen that have changed their major like 3 times before settling on one they loved, but don’t try to tell me that people who enter into a communications major just because they’re confused and will find something better later…Communications is a fantastic degree program with some amazing people that are apart of it! There are so many options that stem from a degree in Communications and I highly recommend that you check them all out!

Like this article? Here are some related ones!

My name is Ashley Napier and I am a writer for the Her Campus Sonoma State chapter.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma