yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Seasonal Blues in SoCal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Soka chapter.

Leaving cold East Coast winters for West Coast sun and fun, I never expected to be hit with the “seasonal blues.” But at some point, the shade-less palm trees and crowded beaches aren’t enough to satisfy a soul who has been brought up with a glorious four seasons. The same endless sunshine, unchanging trees, and dry canyons are simply not comparable to the explosion of hot colors falling from the forests back home. I miss the autumn festivals, pick- your- own orchards, and piping hot apple cider donuts when the wind nips at your nose. Anyyyywayyy~~ Those of us stuck in SoCal this Fall, take some advice from me and battle the “blues” with the tips below! 

1. Scarfing Up

No no no. I don’t mean the basic wrap- once- around scarves! Pull out that mile long, plush knit scarf you felt silly bringing to Cali. It’s the kind that seems to never get shorter the more you wrap and drowns your head and body with incredible warmth…like warm hugs on crisp afternoons. Too hot in SoCal for a scarf? Who said! Bundle up for a cool night stroll or turn up the A.C. and settle in with some Netflix~

2. Hot Drink Sessions

Hot apple cider, dark roast, hot chocolate… Hot drinks are the epitome of comfort and deliciousness. Shove a mug in your friends’ hands the moment they step into your room and commence with the watching of heartwarming films.

3. Drop-Dead Fall Outfits

No one layers like an East Coast girl~ Forget plain shorts and crop- tops. Bring out those chunky boots, thin overcoats, fur vests, and daring skirts to stomp around campus. With the ever- moody SoCal weather, you’ll be prepared for anything! 

4. Decorate With…Leaves! 

Your roommate might wonder why pieces of dead trees are decorating your dorm, but ask them to humor you…and share with them the magic of changing seasons. I myself have faux- fall leaves hanging off my walls, popping out of my books like bookmarks, and nestled around décor. Guests may not understand, but they can certainly appreciate the aesthetic and the comfort it brings you. 

Anyway, no matter how you choose to chase those blues away, remember you’re certainly not alone. The changing seasons bring with them a new perspective and the opportunity to reconnect with home, family, friends, and yourself! Try these tips and share with us your own!

Nikita Sukmono is a current second- year studying at Soka University of America in Southern California and is Soka Her Campus' Social Media Director. A true East Coast girl from Connecticut, she's living it up in the West Coast. She is double- concentrating in International and Environmental Studies and plans to possibly pursue International Environmental Policy in grad school...When not crazily decorating her room, finding ways to battle her seasonal blues, or makinf horrendous shopping decisions with her roommate, Nikita is finding ways to help spread Her Campus to a larger audience through social media platforms!
Nellie Hultman is currently a sophomore at Soka University of America where she is studying Social and Behavioral Sciences. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Soka. After living in 6 countries, she has developed a love for traveling, meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, and trying new foods (lots of it). She hopes to continue traveling the world throughout her life. She plans to attend law school after college, and she desires to build a life focused on inspiring, empowering, and serving others. When she’s not doing homework or thinking about ways to change the world, you can find her researching unsolved crimes, singing in the car, watching Seinfeld… or eating.