College Students Team Up to Form Advocacy Group “Sex Positive SUA” in Hopes of Reforming Title IX System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Soka chapter.

In this past winter, students at Soka University of America have dedicated the majority of their time on a Title IX reform movement that is slowing paving the way for better environments for the next generation of students at their college.

Students formed the advocacy group this semester “Sex Positive SUA” to maximize and organize their efforts. They work on petitions, open letters, media campaigns, campus-wide events, and spend the majority of their day strategizing and executing plans to reform the reporting process.

The students leading the movement are people that have been affected by sexual assault or harassment, know someone who has, or have principles they wish to apply. Students were then told by the officer handling Title IX cases for students, that sexual assault and harassment is a “vague” term, that sexual harassment is a “phase,” and that it is “his word against yours.” A range of problems facing students who report harassment are noted: students had to get on antidepressants to deal with the stress, their grades were lacking, they were repeatedly harassed by the offender after reporting their case, and even in one instance, a student who plead guilty to sexual assault was able to have his case found not guilty.

The advocacy group “Sex Positive SUA” believe they can create a better Title IX system. Since their activism, reported cases of sexual violence has jumped – double the amount that was once the highest record of reported cases, and this is just so far this year.  However, as Angel Isadora Carvajal, a student leader says: “What is worrisome, is that there has been little transparency in the Soka policy. The school says its updating their policy now, and although they won’t ever admit it, this is largely because of student pressure.”

In accompaniment, a large part of advocacy is getting people to openly support what they morally agree with, now not later. Grace Lovell, a student leader of Sex Positive SUA says, “Among the student body at Soka, I see so many inspired students who dream of making the world a better place and that’s really great, but changing the world always starts in your own community — how can we be the leaders of tomorrow if we are silent and complacent about problems in our own home?”. In this way, Sex Positive SUA has spoken to the majority of students at the university about why – or why not – they agree with the goals of the advocacy group. In addition, they have also created an online anonymous tip-box that dozens or students have used to raise questions or concerns.

Enough is enough, and times are really changing. People in every corner of this nation, will no longer stay quiet about abuses of their human dignity, and leaders want to help this movement, they should listen to the ones they tried to silence.

If you would like to support our movement please write, call, or email Soka University of America.