This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Soka chapter.

The closer we get to the end of the semester, the more work there is to do, which means more stress. This period of time can be really difficult to get through, but hopefully these seven ways to reduce stress will help you as the semester draws to a close. 

1. Take a Yoga Class

Yoga is a common method used to reduce stress, as it can help lower stress hormone levels as well as your blood pressure. So, go find the nearest yoga class or you can even look up an online yoga class to help get you through that stress of your upcoming exam.  

2. Exercise

Exercising is one of the best things that you can do to help reduce stress. Exercise releases endorphins, which makes you feel happy and ultimately less stressed. Go for a run and get some fresh air, I promise you it will be worth it + it will make you look even more amazing than you already do. 

3. Light a Soothing Candle

Burning a scented candle can help calm you and reduce your stress; it can even help you sleep better. Head to the store and get yourself a lavender scented candle, sit back, and let the candle do its magic. 

4. Keep a Journal

Keeping a journal is a great way to handle and reduce stress. You can write down what causes you to be stressed, in order to better understand and manage your stress. Or you can choose to focus on the positive, and have a gratitude journal, where you write down what you’re thankful and happy for.  

5. Spend Time with Your Friends

Having a support system in times of stress can be extremely helpful, and laughter has been shown to reduce the effects of stress on the body. So grab some of your closest friends, head to the beach, and laugh the stress away.

6. Listen to Music

Music has been shown to help relieve stress and relax the body. Soothing music can be especially useful in reducing stress; my guess is that you won’t make it through an entire Bon Iver album without feeling more relaxed. 

7. Drink Hot Tea

What’s better than drinking some hot tea when you’re stressed? Drinking tea, especially black tea, has been shown to greatly reduce stress levels. It’s easy to make and the benefits will be great.  

Nellie Hultman is currently a sophomore at Soka University of America where she is studying Social and Behavioral Sciences. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Soka. After living in 6 countries, she has developed a love for traveling, meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, and trying new foods (lots of it). She hopes to continue traveling the world throughout her life. She plans to attend law school after college, and she desires to build a life focused on inspiring, empowering, and serving others. When she’s not doing homework or thinking about ways to change the world, you can find her researching unsolved crimes, singing in the car, watching Seinfeld… or eating.