books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Your Guide to Healthy Snacking During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

When we’re snacking while we’re studying, I’m sure our go-to’s include hot cheetoes and oreos and all of the unhealthiest snacks we can get our hands on. Not only are they comfort foods but they’re the perfect snacks to binge on and in no time, we can be consuming thousands of calories while we’re studying. That’s why we’ve created a guide to healthy snacking, whether you’re in the mood for something salty or something sweet.

Sweet

Fruit smoothies or juices: Exchange your milkshakes for a fruit infused smoothie or maybe even a juice. Not only are these drinks absolutely good for you but they will power your brain with all the nutrients you need to focus.

Low calorie cookies: Dump the oreos and get yourself some 100 calorie cookies to fix your sweet tooth. Not only are they bite-sized but they’re also packed with so much flavor you won’t even realize they’re only 100 calories!

Celery: Yeah celery and peanut butter are the perfect mix! It is easy to create and can totally make you full and with celery basically being calorie-less, it’s wonderful! The almond butter packets will be perfect for this.

Acai bowls: Yes, Yes, Yes. These will fill you up and not only are they as delicious as they are beautiful, but these are perfect.

Salty

Veggie Tray: Switch out those salty tips that do nothing to your focus levels, even does more damage on your body for a veggie tray. Veggies can be bland but if you dip them in some low calorie ranch, then it can add some flavor!

Wheat Thins: Sometimes you want something flavorful, what I adore about wheat thins is that they come in a wide variety of flavors. So whatever flavor you’re in the mood for, Wheat Thins can help! 

Edamame: Throw these babies in the microwave and match it with some low-calorie soy sauce and you have yourself a delicious snack! 

Pok: Pok is perfect because it’s healthy and if you get the small size, it’s perfect as a snack. (Read our review of the restaurant here!)

Kale chips: Yes, these are a thing. Yes, these are delicous. You must try these because they are beyond healthy and perfect for snacking while on the go. 

Avocado toast: If you use wheat bread and a slice of avocado, this will get your brain to focus in no time! This is a perfect start to your day before your studies begin. 

We are the SMU Team.