Your Guide to Family Weekend 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Family weekend is here! It’s an exciting time to show your family how your first few weeks at school have been going. You get to introduce them to your friends and show them what life is like on campus. Family weekend is also a great time to try some new places. Here are some of the best places to visit this weekend.

The Rustic

No city does brunch quite like Dallas. If you haven’t been, The Rustic serves their brunch “family style.” Each order comes with avocado toast, grits, bacon, quiche, doughnuts, fruit, cheese and other tasty items. You get to try a little of everything and enjoy the southern vibe the restaurant has to offer.

If The Rustic isn’t your style, there are a bunch of other brunch spots near campus worth looking into. 

Klyde Warren Park

This park is home to some of the best Dallas area food trucks and is located in the middle of the arts district downtown. Make it an evening and see a show at the Winspear Opera House while you’re down there (the 20th anniversary tour of Rent is currently playing) or check out the Dallas Museum of Art.

The Dallas Zoo

Who doesn’t love animals? The Dallas Zoo has several great exhibits and can easily keep you entertained for the afternoon. This could be a fun opportunity to do something a little farther off campus.

The George W. Bush Library

It’s pretty cool to have a presidential library on campus. The Bush Library currently has a “Path to the Presidency” exhibit with interactive features. You can even pose for your own campaign poster and sit behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office replica. Who knows? You might even run into George and Laura.

Don’t forget about all of the amazing on campus activities happening. Your family is in town to see what’s happening at SMU. Come watch the SMU v. TCU game on Friday night and show everyone what it’s like to boulevard. The Family Weekend Talent Show will feature 10 incredible acts this year (including the Belle Tones and SMU ballroom dance). This is also the first year for the Family Weekend Musical. “Hairspray” will be performed on September 25 at 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. The best part: tickets are free!

Have a great family weekend!

SaveSave

We are the SMU Team.