Your college guide to spring cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Spring is right around the corner, and if you’re anything like me your room is a mess! It can be difficult at this point in the semester to keep everything organized, especially with midterms approaching. Below are some tips and tricks to getting your stuff organized and tidied!

Courtesy of Tumblr

Simplify your schoolwork.

If you haven’t already gone through your textbooks and papers from last semester you should do that ASAP. Go through your papers, decide what you still want to keep, and file them by subject in an 8-pocket folder. Try to sell the books you don’t need online, in the campus bookstore, or over at Half Price Books. For your current school supplies, it’s helpful to  use folders and binders to keep things organized.

Clear your closet.

With the weather warming up, begin to move winter clothes to the back of closet or into storage bins. Organize clothes by color and style. Get rid of stuff that you don’t wear anymore or that doesn’t fit. You’ll feel both aesthetically and mentally refreshed!

Arrange your accessories.

Hanging up jewelry so it is more visible and accessible is a lifesaver—trust me! If you’re looking for an inexpensive way to hang jewelry, try using nails spaced about 3 inches apart on a wall. Store rings in a dish and bracelets in a jewelry box! 

Manage your makeup.

Purchasing a clear container with drawers and a make up brush stand can majorly help keep makeup organized. Also many drugstores sell makeup brush cleaner, which is used to keep brushes bacteria-free and clean. Highly recommended!

Extra 

Hang photos and notes on bulletin boards to get them off your desk or workspace. Purchase large bins for storage of blankets or towels. To keep messy drawers organized, dividers can be purchased. Hopefully these simple tips and products can help you to get organized this spring! 

Feature image courtesy of weheartit.com 

Christina is a sophomore at SMU studying Advertising and Fashion Media. When not writing, she enjoys cooking, exploring Dallas, and playing with her pug puppy, Stella. You can follow her on Instagram @prettylittlemyers. 
We are the SMU Team.