This Year’s Top Christmas Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again.  Starbucks holiday cups can now be seen in almost every classroom on campus, SMU’s “Merry Christmas Y’all” tees are being brought out of drawers, and wearing your UGG boots with leggings is now the norm.  I always look forward to the holiday season and every year I kick it off the day after Halloween (it’s normal, don’t judge) by updating my “Christmas” playlist on iTunes.  This year, there are a few new CD’s that you should know about from covers of classics to new songs giving a new spin on “holiday” music.

First, my favorite new album is Michael Bublés “Christmas”.  Although I have always been a sucker for Bublé, his Christmas CD will have you snuggled up in blankets wishing for snow and contemplating what color lights to drape in your room with a complete disregard for any possible fire code violations.  It’s that good.  My favorite track is his remake of everyone’s all-time favorite Christmas song “All I Want For Christmas Is You” (originally sung by Mariah Carey on the CD “Merry Christmas”.)  Bublé turns the upbeat song into a slower piano turned power ballad that will surely be used in holiday rom-com’s in years to come.  His CD also features a duet with Shania Twain to “White Christmas” that gives a great country spin to a classic.  The best original song on the album is “Cold December Night”, an upbeat Christmas love song that makes you smile while you listen to it then make it absolutely essential to snuggle with anyone or anyone to feel loved.  It could be the new hit song this Christmas. 

The most hyped album this Christmas is undoubtedly Justin Bieber’s “Mistletoe” with his latest single release of the same name already placing on iTunes top 30 singles.  The rest of the CD is a mixture of covers of classic songs like  “Silent Night”, “The Christmas Song” featuring Usher, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, and “All I Want For Christmas Is You” and original songs.  It’s noticeable that the Bieb’s voice has gone through some changes and he is no longer the little boy who enjoys zip up hoodies.  There are several songs that are more hip-hop than holiday.  In Drummer Boy”, he raps about Christmas and being cool with Busta Rhymes jumping in to talk about eating Christmas dinner and being on Twitter.  I can’t say I’m a fan.  However, he does redeem himself in his original song “Christmas Love.”  Bieber sings a happy holiday love song that can cheer anyone up and love the Christmas season (even if there is a hint of jealousy as you imagine him singing this to Selena Gomez instead of you.) Overall, the CD has a few good songs that remind you of that classic holiday season but it does have some more…. aggressive “Christmas” songs featuring Bieb’s rapping skills that are not something that everyone enjoys.

The little known Christmas CD release this year is from the band She & Him, titled “A Very She & Him Christmas.”  For those of you who aren’t familiar with She & Him, they are an indie pop duo consisting of Zooey Deschanel (from Fox’s New Girl and Elf) and Matthew Ward.  “A Very Merry Christmas” features unique spins on classics like “Little Saint Nick”, “Sleigh Ride”, and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” through the use of piano, guitar, ukulele, and drums.  Although a few of the songs are a little too “indie” for my Christmas taste, their versions of “The Christmas Waltz” and “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” are amazing.  Deschanel has an amazingly smooth and jazz like voice that can relax you after a long day of studying or even after slaving over painting a cooler until 2 a.m.  Thank you Zooey, I appreciate it.  I recommend giving this CD a listen because you will definitely find some gems.

Now that you know what to look out for when you update your Christmas music, it’s time to double check that you have the standard necessities then you will be set.

1. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” AND “Oh Santa” – Mariah Carey (Merry Christmas II You)
  2. “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” – *NSYNC (Home for Christmas)
  3. “Mistletoe” – Colbie Caillat (Mistletoe – Single)
  4. “Santa Baby” – Taylor Swift (The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection)
  5.  “Last Christmas” – Wham!

All of these songs and albums mentioned can be found and downloaded on iTunes and Amazon.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.