This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

I’ve always been afraid of the term “crazy girlfriend.” I’m in my first real relationship ever, and based on my actual personality, I have a good reason to worry that this moniker will be applied to me. I’m a little bit out there, a lot extroverted, and capable of crying at the drop of a hat. So you can see my concern.

Any time as a lady that you show any little bit of emotion above being a “cool girl,” you can be labeled as “crazy.” This term is generally used in a way to blame you for being emotional. If your partner doesn’t suck, hopefully they won’t shame you for showing your feelings. Then you can take pride in your “crazy,” because that actually makes life a whole lot more fun. Here are five reasons why being the crazy girlfriend is actually the best.

1. You’re entertaining: Crazy is fun. Crazy is wild. Crazy has the best stories. Mild-mannered Janes don’t sneak on to a golf course in the middle of the night. Completely chill people aren’t as always as spontaneous. And you have to agree, spontaneous makes a hilarious story to tell in class the next day.

2. You don’t do BS: Because you can drop your fear of being thought of as too “crazy,” you can actually communicate how you feel. A lot of times, I’ve ignored things that were actually bothering me because I didn’t want to seem “needy” or “clingy” or “crazy.” This turns into you not saying how you feel, which turns to your partner continuing to do things that piss you off because they have no idea. This in turn will create resentment on your part, which is not a recipe for healthy relationship. Once you decide to embrace your crazy, you and your partner can actually communicate. It’s way better.

3. You have an actual emotional connection: Do me a favor. Stop being afraid to cry in your relationship. Stop being afraid to tell him that you’re sad, that you had a bad day, or that you are pissed off and need him to understand it. Be as emotional as you darn well please. If you are with someone, you can’t just pretend you’re a perfectly happy, emotionless princess who never says what’s bothering her. You two can actually talk about your emotions, which means you’ll have a deep connection with each other. That’s what makes a relationship that counts. Not pretending you’re okay all the time.

4. You’re going to fight for your relationship: A little fight is not going to end the love you two have. You aren’t going to just let go of it, you are going to claw tooth and nail so that your relationship will last. You won’t just let go because being “too intense” will really end it, you’ll let your intensity save what you’ve got.

5. You get to be yourself: The “crazy girlfriend” may be a lot to take, but she’s 100 percent herself. She isn’t just putting on a show so that she’ll seem societally acceptable. She’s real and she’s unapologetic. I like being that girl a whole lot better than I do acting like I’m not an absolute doofus all of the time.

Stop letting “crazy” define you. Stop being afraid to be who you are just because society or your boyfriend or your mom or your professors might think that you are too “wild.” You aren’t wild, you’re just you. Who cares if you fit into the cookie cutter mold if you’re not being yourself? Crazy is just a term used to police women out of being who they are.

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.