What To Watch On Netflix This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Finals are swiftly approaching. Many people choose to opt out of studying and take up Netflix as a hobby instead. For you procrastinators out there, here are a few shows to watch while you’re “studying”:

1.     The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Ellie Kemper from Bridesmaids stars as Kimmy, a mole woman who was kept in an underground bunker for 15 years. The show follows her as she transitions into post-bunker life in New York. But the real star of this show is Titus Burgess, her roommate. His song, Peeno Noir is life. Jane Krakowski from 30 Rock and those orange juice commercials is also a regular as Kimmy’s boss. No spoilers, but the two are die-hard cyclists for one episode and I laughed out loud for probably 10 minutes straight. This show is relatively new and people are talking about it, so jump on the bandwagon.

2.     Orange is the New Black: The third season will be on Netflix in June, so make sure you watch (or re-watch) Seasons 1 and 2. This show is a drama and can definitely get heavy at times, but there’s always comic relief. Laverne Cox is transgender and plays the hair stylist of the women’s prison. She’s been a pioneer for the LGBT community and was named Woman of the Year by Glamour in 2014. There will also be a Martha Stewart-inspired character in Season 3, so that’s exciting.

3.     Dance Moms: Finally! This show will be on Netflix May 14. If you grew up dancing, it’s almost scary how relatable this show is. Even if you didn’t spend your time in buns, tutus, and inappropriate clothing for your age, the drama on this show will keep you coming back for more. Maddie Ziegler has become Sia’s muse for her music videos and has even gotten to star in a video with Shia LaBeouf. Abby Lee Miller, the girls’ dance teacher and choreographer, is one of the most terrifying humans I’ve ever seen and makes me thankful that my coaches were only slightly psychotic. For the closet reality TV addict, this one’s for you.

4.     30 Rock: This show isn’t new; it’s just hilarious. If you like The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, 30 Rock is its fat funny cousin. Tiny Fey created both shows, so obviously they’re hysterical. Fey also stars in the show as “Liz Lemon”. In the pilot, Jack, played by Alec Baldwin, takes one look at her and describes Liz as a “New York third-wave feminist, college-educated, single-and-pretending-to-be-happy-about-it, over-scheduled, undersexed, you buy any magazine that says ‘healthy body image’ on the cover and every two years you take up knitting for…a week.” There are too many hilarious people on this show to count. Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Jane Krakowski, Tracy Morgan, and Jack McBrayer are just a few. This is one of the most underrated comedies out there. 

Senior at SMU studying journalism, fashion media, and photography.