What do you need to pack for class in this crazy Texas weather?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s 75 degrees in the beginning of February and all of us are out on the lawn and enjoying the vitamin D while we can. It was 50 degrees just three days ago. We’re all miserable with Peruna Plague from these weather changes. For those of us that unluckily live more than a quarter of a mile away from our classes, this weather is throwing up for a loop. For me, it’s 40 degrees outside when I wake up for my first class and 70 degrees by lunchtime. Am I supposed to wear my fleece jacket or walk around freezing on my cross-campus trek in attempts that it’ll warm up a little quicker so I don’t feel lost in the tundra? The crazy Texas weather is notorious to continue to drive us all insane for the next semester. These are some of my essentials for an easier morning trek into the warm weather of the afternoon.

1. My jacket

I know it’s not fun lugging around a jacket when it’s 70 degrees outside and amongst all the other stuff you have to throw into your tote, it’s not fun walking around with yet another weight on your back. I’m all for sacrificing comfort for the sake of fashion but grabbing the sweater isn’t going to last you through the day let alone the crazy walk in the morning. My favorite jacket is just about any kind of jacket I have from REI because it’s functional but they’re usually cute.

Courtesy of REI

2. Riding boots

Again, I’m all for fashion over function but I know that grabbing your flats in subpar temperature will actually freeze your feet. Take it from a veteran. My threshold for flats is that has to be at least 45 degrees and going up. No inclement weather conditions either. My favorite compromise when it comes to warm shoes that are cute and not insulated working man boots are riding boots. I know I can depend Frye to make some boots that will fit any occasion and make sure that I’m well-fitted for fall riding boot outfits but also, the craziness of this weather. Riding boots are a classic way to dress up any outfit.

Courtesy of Frye

3. Emergency pack

My skin dries out as soon as winter hits Texas and I know I need Kiehl’s for my skin to have any semblance of life to it, especially after a long walk in the cold. I think Kiehl’s is my favorite because they always cater to all kind of skin types and they carry just about anything you might need to keep on you for emergencies. I always keep a tiny little first aid kit because being up in the morning means being ready for sleepwalking to class.

Courtesy of Kiehl’s

The weather now is absolutely beautiful but as someone who’s stuck with and sometimes enjoys having her 8 am’s everyday, it makes sense to be prepared for the insanity of Texas and its weather.

Feature image courtesy of Facebook

Trina is a first year at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Originally from Wisconsin, she moved to Plano, Texas for high school, where the sweet tea convinced her that the South was her home for the rest of her life! She plans on pursuing a career in banking or in research and speaks Spanish fluently. Trina is a major foodie and has a serious case of wanderlust. She has been to forty states here at home, and also plans on hiking Machu Picchu next summer. For now, she plans on working for HC, continuing research and seeking out all food that the wonderful state of Texas has to offer!
We are the SMU Team.