Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Valentine’s Day, the holiday almost every single woman fears nationwide is approaching. Many women avoid going to dinner on Valentine’s Day for fear of being surrounded by happy couples. We constantly refresh our Instagram and Facebook accounts only to roll our eyes at all the cute pictures other “happy” women are uploading. Most of us, at one point or another, have either said or have heard a friend say, “I hate Valentine’s Day.”

While having a Valentine or special someone is always nice, being single is not so bad either! Single people have much more time for themselves and honestly, who doesn’t love being selfish every now and then?

Rather than viewing Valentine’s Day as a sad, lonely day making you question everything you do not have, do the opposite! Even if you do not have a boyfriend, let your best friends know how much they mean to you. Gather up your girlfriends and go to a fun dinner or just stay in together and bake cupcakes, drink wine, and watch old school “romcoms.” As Carrie on Sex and the City once said, “Maybe our girlfriends are our soul mates and boys are just people to have fun with.”