The Truth Behind The Juice Cleanse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Today’s newest diet trend is the infamous juice cleanse. Juice bars have opened up nationwide and the business of “juicing” is booming. Is the juice cleanse a healthy way for weight loss?

Believe it or not, but a normal juice cleanse may consist of 1,000-1,200 calories. The juice cleanse is advertised as being the healthiest and most efficient way to cure any disease and, of course, loose weight fast. A nutritious juice tastes good and is healthy for you in moderation. However, there is no need to shock your body by only consuming juice. Juicing is not healthier than eating the proper amount of fruits and vegetables per day. In fact, some nutrients are removed by pasteurization while the juice is made. The fiber from fruits and vegetables is also removed from the juice, causing your body to soak up fructose sugars easier and faster. Precautions must be made and juicing must be done carefully. It is not the most effective way to loose weight fast, or keep the weight off. The most nutritious lifestyle is one that is balanced and feeds your body with the fuel it needs to survive! 

My name is Gabriella Vrablik. I am from Chicago, IL and currently attend Southern Methodist University. I am a PR/Journalism/Advertising major.
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor