kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Shape it up: best Dallas workouts near campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It is officially pumpkin spice season and before you know it, you’ll be home on break having just about every family member tempting you with your old favorite, family secret recipes, and just about everything delicious.  But like with everything in life, there are consequences.  So instead of re-living the fear of the “freshman 15” all over again, why not ramp up your workout routine in the next few weeks so you can relax and reward yourself with a few extra indulgences? Switching up your workout routine is also a foolproof way to keep yourself entertained as the temperature drops while keeping your stress levels in check as finals become more of a reality.  Below you will find some of the best workouts in Dallas for students and a way to get the best bod for your buck before the holidays!

Get Your Cardio In

Lync Cycling: Head over to Snider Plaza for an intense workout that feels more like a concert.  The instructors at Lync Cycling will get you lost in their amazing playlists and choreography that will have you shocked that 45 minutes just went by, but will leave you with the satisfaction of a great workout.  Classes fill up quickly, so be sure to book online ahead of time.  Take your first class for free, but make sure to sign up for their email lists which often includes discounted packages in addition to news about giveaways, events and theme rides.  

Flywheel: If you want to get competitive, Flywheel’s Highland Park location allows riders the option of displaying their stats during the workout using Flywheel’s high-tech bikes.  Of course, you can keep that information to yourself as you pursue your dream body through intervals and use of the weighted bars.  Incentives are offered to the highest performers through Flywheel’s Power Up program and the Torq Boards keep you accountable for your results while helping riders set personal goals and stick to them.  FlyBarre classes are also available if you want to switch up your cardio with more strength training.     

Ballet Beautiful

Pilates Barre: The Pilates Barre in Snider Plaza uses spring boards and their unique BarreFormer to create a full-body 50 minute workout based on the holistic principles of pilates.  The BarreFormer replaces the traditional pilates reformer, but provides constant resistance in order to work even the tiniest of muscles.  The PilatesBarre method is ideal for those who want to get in a great workout, but are looking for or need something low-impact that won’t put any heavy stress on the body.  Workout on the BarreFormer during the traditional PilatesBarre class or switch it up for the unique SpringBarre class or get in a little more cardio and try out TreadBarre.  Classes run all day which is ideal for an in-between class workout at the campus- convenient studio and they love partnering with SMU students, so be sure to ask about any student specials and packages.        

Pure Barre: Lift, tone, and burn at Pure Barre to build a long, lean dancer’s body in 55 minutes at studios in Preston Hollow, Uptown, or Upper Greenville.  Classes run  all morning and evening and there is even a noon class for students looking for a workout in between classes.  Every Pure Barre class incorporates pilates and ballet technique to burn fat with lengthening yoga-like elements to build muscle without the bulk.  New students are eligible to receivee their first month unlimited for $100, and Pure Baree offers additional student discounts on classes and packages.  Bring a friend on Fridays in October and their first class is also free! 

Studio 6 Pilates: Lengthen and tone with the only Megaformer pilates studio in Dallas.  Every class at Studio 6 incorporates their six principles of core, strength, balance, endurance, flexibility and spirit… all in under an hour.  In 50 minutes, you will get a full body workout that is easy on your joints all while building strength and flexibility.  For new clients, the Park Lane studio offers several introductory rates including $99 for six sessions and $149 for one month unlimited.  

Kick It Up A Notch

Title Boxing: Blow off some steam at one of Title’s classes at their studio on Lemmon Avenue.  Get an incredible workout that will leave you completely exhausted, but feeling like a badass.  Classes focus on circuit training and traditional kickboxing technique to burn fat, build muscle, ad increase your metabolism while teaching important self-defense skills.  New students can take their first class completely free and unlimited two-week memberships are also available.  For a little more of a commitment, a full monthly membership is available which also includes access to the gym if you are looking to switch it up from Dedman.        

InCinR8: Shock your body and burn fat with workout at InCinR8 based on the eight method of precision.  Classes involve a combination of eight minute circuits designed to help clients perfect each movement in order to pinpoint and target certain areas of the body.  Each exercise lasts from only 30 seconds to two minutes, but are designed to sculpt the best results in the shortest amount of time.  The West Village studio offers a discounted monthly unlimited package especially for SMU students.        

Take A Breather

Core Power Yoga: With a studio in Mockingbird Station and another one on Henderson, its easy to unwind at Core Power Yoga.  Both studios offer a variety of heated and unheated yoga classes all day every day.  If you’re new to the studio, Core Powers lets you have two weeks of unlimited classes completely free.  An additional class is free every week and both studios offer free classes and discounted memberships in exchange for cleaning help around the studio.  

Bikram Yoga Dallas: Sweat it out in Uptown at Bikram Yoga Dallas.  The studio is clean and convenient and offers a whole month of unlimited classes for only $50.  Monthly memberships are available as well as individual classes.  Keep reaping the benefits beyond yoga by signing up with the studio’s Perkville program to earn free stuff by taking classes.  Clients can also earn discounted and free classes by referring others to the studio so bring a friend!    

Try Something New

City Surf: Despite being landlocked, switch up your workout routine at City Surf with their various surf- inspired workout classes.  The City Surf studios use surfboard-like machines to deliver a workout based in core-strength, cardio, and balance.  Try out the City Surf signature class or get flexible in  Buddha Board or burn fat in the City Surf Circuits class.  The Beach Body Boot Camp is cardio-based to keep maintain your bikini bod all year long, tone up in the Big Kahuna class, or try out the Pipeline class if barre is your thing.  Classes are available starting early in the morning every day until around 7 p.m.  New students can take their first class free and purchase one month of unlimited classes for $59.           

Feature Image: Coutesy of PopSugar

SMU Senior from Nashville, TN majoring in Advertising with a minor in Fashion Media.  
We are the SMU Team.