Sarah Bicknell ’15 and Ashleigh Schneider ’15: Mystic Krewe of Louisianians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

One event that every collegiate is familiar with: Mardi Gras. Besides the extended weekend of partying and bead catching there is actually a lot more to this famous event, and two SMU collegiate’s know this first hand. Freshman Sarah Bicknell and Ashleigh Schneider attended the Mystick Krewe of Louisianians Washington D.C. Mardi Gras Ball 2012.

What is the Mystic Krewe of Louisianians Mardi Gras Ball?
It’s an annual ball that celebrates the spirit of Mardi Gras in Washington D.C. This years theme was Oysters and Beers, the oysters represented the king’s family and beers represented the queen’s family.

How were you both picked to be apart of the Ball?
We were both princesses at the Ball and each princess was picked to represent their Congressman from Louisiana, the event is somewhat political. Ashleigh represented Lafayette, LA and Sarah represented Shreveport, LA. Overall there were 35 princesses and 25 queens and most girls were ages 17-20.

What did your duties as a princess entail?
We flew to D.C. and on Thursday night there was the Louisiana cocktail, Friday was the dress rehearsal dinner and dance and then on Saturday we were presented and there was the Mardi Gras Ball and parade.

What was your favorite part of being a princess?
We both loved the parade, a dance group called 610 stompers performed and it was just like Mardi Gras in NOLA with people throwing beads and even jesters.

Any other highlights from the trip?
We went on a tour of the white house and we had tea at Mary Landrieu’s house, the Senator of Louisiana.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.