New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

New Year’s Eve marks a time of elaborate celebration, sparkly dresses and clinking champagne glasses. As we celebrate and reflect upon the end of another year, we eagerly approach the coming of a promising new year and with it, a chance to start fresh. As the clock strikes midnight on the last day of the year, people all around the world will celebrate their clean slate and make resolutions to better themselves in the upcoming year. Whether your goal be to exercise more, eat healthier or improve your study habits, here are some quick tips on how to maintain your resolutions in 2014.

1.  Be passionate about it. Your resolution should reflect something that you truly want to change in your life. Don’t strive to reach a goal just because you think you “should” or because other people tell you to – it has to be something that you want for yourself.

2.  Be realistic and specific. Make sure that your goal is attainable. If you’re trying to exercise more and lose weight, it’s unrealistic to think that you’re going to get six pack abs after a week of going to the gym. Instead, set goals that you know you can reach and be specific. Rather than simply setting a goal to work out more, make a plan of action and tell yourself that you will go to the gym every Monday, Wednesday and Friday after your philosophy class. By setting more specific goals, you are much more likely to follow through with them.

3.  Track your progress. Keep track of all your hard work and acknowledge how far you have come. Recognize important obstacles you overcame and use that as motivation to further your effort. Seeing the progress you have made will motivate you to continue reaching toward your goal.

4.  Enlist support from friends and family. Tell the important people in your life about the goals you are trying to achieve. Having your friends and family by your side to help support and offer encouragement will give you motivation to push through and succeed.

5.  Reward yourself. Rewards are the best form of motivation, so treat yourself each time you accomplish a new step in your goal. Reached your target weight loss goal for the month? Reward yourself with a delicious Sprinkles cupcake. Just aced your accounting midterm that you prepared weeks for? Head towards the mall and treat yourself to a little shopping spree. By rewarding yourself along the way, you will be much more encouraged to reach your final goal.

Broadcast Journalism and Business Major Orange County, California
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor