Meet SMU’s 2016 Homecoming Queen Madison McKay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Here at Southern Methodist University, Homecoming is a big deal, and as you can imagine, the Homecoming Court is no exception. Our Homecoming King was Alex Bucshon of Kappa Alpha Order, and Madison McKay of Chi Omega was our Homecoming Queen. The two won the most votes with their state of Lousiana in SMU’s theme “Road Trip Home to SMU.” We already talked to Homecoming King Alec, and this week we sat down with Madison McKay, who told us about her experience at SMU, Homecoming, and her plans for the future. 

Her Campus SMU: How do you feel about being elected Homecoming Queen?

Madison McKay: I was completely humbled by the entire experience. Even being chosen to represent my chapter was a huge honor, so being elected by my peers to represent the school was really amazing. I love SMU and am inspired by everyone here, so I am beyond proud to represent our school.

HCSMU: What’s a fun fact about your state Louisiana that no one else knows?

MM: Well, being a native Texan, I don’t know very many obscure facts about Louisiana… so I Googled it. Most people know that the official Mardi Gras colors are purple, gold, and green, but I did learn that those colors represent justice, power, and faith.

HCSMU: What’s your personal “Road Trip Home to SMU”—what brought you here to this great school?

MM: I am currently a double major in dance and marketing. I have danced for a total of 18 years, five of which were spent in a pre-professional ballet company… and as a senior in high school, I worked very hard both academically and through dance. When applying to colleges, I was very determined to continue on both academic and artistic paths and in 2013, SMU offered the opportunity to not only continue my dancing career in a collegiate atmosphere, but also to simultaneously pursue a degree in business. Upon making the decision that would define the next four years of my life, no other option compared to SMU and the ability I would have to pursue multiple interests and passions. SMU is just a 45 minute road trip from my hometown, but I could not be happier with the time I have spent at my home at SMU.

HCSMU: What’s your favorite thing about SMU?

MM: As cliché as it sounds, I love the people. I have been surrounded by individuals that encourage me to be the best version of myself. My friends at SMU are driven, intelligent, supportive, accomplished, and hilarious- there is never a dull moment, nor would I be the person that I am today without them. 

HCSMU: How are you involved on campus?

MM: I am an SMU Ambassador, a member of Chi Omega, the vice president of MOVE (an organization that operates through the Dance Department and organizes outreach opportunities into the community), and have been extremely involved in SMU Relay for Life for the past three years. 

HCSMU: Favorite thing about Homecoming?

MM: That’s a hard one- but every year, I always look forward to late night float-building. It is such a blast for everyone to spend time together while working on a project that carries on an SMU tradition.

HCSMU: Riding on the Float- Fun or Scary?

MM: Can I say both? Definitely fun because of all of the energy from KA and Chi O, but also scary… especially in heels. There were a few moments when I thought I was going to fall off the float!

HCSMU: What’s the best thing to do on the Boulevard?

MM: My favorite thing to do on the Boulevard is really just to run around and enjoy the company of my friends that are scattered across Dallas Hall Lawn. 

HCSMU: What’s your next road after SMU?

MM: That is yet to be determined! I am planning on looking into a career in Sports Marketing while (somehow) continuing a career in dance.

HCSMU: Favorite SMU memory?

MM: Homecoming week is pretty hard to beat. Definitely my favorite SMU memory.

SaveSaveSaveSave

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.