I Tried a Teatox and Saw Major Results: This is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Type “teatox” in the Pinterest search bar and about a million options pop up.  There are some people who rave that it works and some that are more skeptical of the whole “lose weight from a magic tea mixture” thing.  I personally am a fan of the Jillian Michaels Dandelion Tea Detox. I’ve done it a couple of times and have seen results.  The best part is I didn’t have to stop eating or change my diet.  Here’s how it works:

Ingredients:

I purchase the ingredients at Kroger because I love the organic, healthy living section there, but you can find all of these items at your preferred grocery store. This recipe makes enough for one day.

• 60 ounces of distilled water (I’ve recently seen articles saying you only need purified water but every time I’ve done the teatox I used distilled.)
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar-free cranberry juice (Make sure it is 100% sugar free! Read the ingredients label, and don’t just take the front label as the truth. Ocean Spray usually isn’t 100% sugar-free.)
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 1 bag of dandelion root tea (I use Traditional Medicinals, Organic Roasted Dandelion Root.)

All you have to do is steep the dandelion root tea bag in the mixture of the above liquids and drink. This recipe is for only one day, so to make a week’s worth of the drink you need about 3.5 gallons of distilled water. After drinking this mixture for seven days you’ll see results. It’s a lot, but try to drink your usual amount of water each day. The tea should not take place of your daily water intake. 

The first time I did this teatox I lost eight pounds, and every time I’ve done it since I’ve lost about five pounds. The only thing I did along with the teatox was lower my sugary/caffeinated drink intake to one Coca-cola or grande-sized coffee a day. I did not drink any alcohol and I tried to watch what I ate, but I’m really not any good at that. I think the biggest “change” I made in my diet was that I ordered a salad for dinner after having two slices of pizza for lunch. I continued my usual work out routine.

Disclaimer: teatoxes remove water weight, therefore you are going to be in the bathroom…a lot. Get ready to pee the toxins and water weight away with this simple seven day recipe.  

Alexis is a junior at Southern Methodist University and working towards a degree in secondary education and English with a specialization in creative writing.  Alexis is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and the president of Golden Key International Honor Society.  In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, dancing, and watching videos of puppies.  Food is her best friend and Pinterest quote boards are her guilty pleasure.  
We are the SMU Team.