How to stay connected with friends from home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Remember how nice it was when all of your friends were in one place? Too bad it can’t always be like that. While you probably have friends all over campus, you probably also have friends from back at home who are now all over the country. So, how do you keep involved in your friend’s life when she’s all the way in Maryland/Washington/California/etc.?

Courtesy of Pinterest

Keep updated on major events.While you may not be able to know every tiny detail about your friend’s life like you used to, you can still try to learn about the huge events. Maybe your friend got a new boyfriend, or is playing in a concert later on- if you can keep in touch enough to know the big things, you can offer your support even miles away.

Care packages aren’t just from Mom.Who said the only ones who could send packages with personalized goodies and love were your parents? That’s right- no one! Gather up a few things you know your best friend would like, a few inside jokes, and write a sweet note and ship it off to your buddy. Everyone likes getting mail after all!

Courtesy of Pinterest

Text about the little things.Do you ever see something that makes you instantly think fondly of your best friend or some memory you share together? Text her that! A simple “look what I just saw, it made me think of you!” text can often spark a conversation.

Make time during breaks for friends.I know that going home for breaks usually means cuddling with your dog and sleeping in your own bed for as long as you can, but try to see if your friends’ breaks line up with yours. Even if all your schedules allow for is a quick cup of coffee, it’s more than worth it to make that time.

Talk about your new life.Let’s face it- you’re already different from the person you were back home. You’re in college, so maybe you’ve been trying out a new club, or you’re studying more, or taking an interest in some new class, but no matter what, some part of you is different. So, talk about it. Talk about your new interests and friendships, and hear how your friend is changing too. It’s important to grow together.

…But don’t forget your old life.You love your friends from back home. They know where you came from. They knew you through the awkward middle school stages and the tumultuous high school years. Their friendship is part of who you are, so no matter how much you change in college, no matter how many new friends you meet, if their friendship is important to you, put in the extra effort. Distance doesn’t mean anything if a relationship is really worth preserving.

Feature Image: Courtesy of Buzznet

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.