This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Image by Engin Akyurt 

Lengthening lashes can be one of the hardest things to do if you don’t know the right methods. We’ve all heard the horror stories of girls who have used ridiculous tactics to try to grow their lashes, only to result in even thinner ones than what they started with. But, after doing much research on the subject, I have compiled a list of natural and non-natural ways of lengthening lashes so that you don’t have to.

Olive Oil

Applying a few drops of olive oil on the base of your lash line can result in thicker and longer eyelash growth. Although it may seem tedious, you can typically start to notice a difference in a few weeks to months.

Vaseline

Myths about Vaseline being used to grow lashes have been circulating the beauty world for as long as any of us can remember. Although it has not technically been proven to promote growth, applying Vaseline can moisturize your lashes, causing them to look healthier and thicker. So, if you think your lashes are looking a bit dry and sparse, try this hack to boost them back up.

Brushing out Your Lashes

I know this may sound stupid, but brushing your lashes out with a clean eyebrow brush or mascara wand can actually promote healthy hair growth. Before you go to sleep, try just combing out your lash line for a few minutes each night.

Image via VichyUSA

Vichy Liftactiv Serum 10 – Eyes & Lashes

The Vichy Liftactiv Serum 10 targets your eyes and lashes, making the skin surrounding your eyes more moisturized and your eyelashes grow longer. You can buy it directly on their website for $35.

By Terry Mascara Terrybly Growth Booster

This product is your two-in-one formula for mascara and lash boosting serum. It costs around $48 in stores, which is a good price considering you’re getting the benefits of a mascara and a lash booster. Reviews have been mixed, but for the price, it’s worth a shot. Check it out here.

Eyelash Extensions:

Eyelash extensions have been known to create the Bambi-like look effectively, but they do require lots of maintenance in order to keep up with them. Before getting false lashes glued to your lash line, you should know a few things first… For starters, you cannot use oil based products near and around your eyes. Also, wearing mascara can damage your extensions, so it is best to stay away from it entirely. If you want them removed, you should either wait for them to fall out naturally or get them professionally removed, because pulling them out one by one can pull out your natural lashes as well. Many users of eyelash extensions have said that they commonly apply Vaseline on their natural lashes after removing their false ones. They say that this restores natural growth and corrects any damage done to them while they had extensions. Lastly, eyelash extensions can cost a small fortune to get done, so do your research to find ways to save some cash when looking for a place to get them done. There is a lot to consider before getting eyelash extensions, so make sure you carefully weigh the pros and cons before getting eyelash extensions. 

Kaitlyn is currently a freshman at Southern Methodist University studying Advertising and Fashion Media. She is from San Diego, California where she spends the majority of her free time driving down the coast. Her hobbies include trying new beauty products, finding the best Mac & Cheese, and petting every dog she crosses paths with. 
We are the SMU Team.