How to: Help Your Younger Sister Get Ready for College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

If you are the older sister, you have spent your entire life paving the way for your younger siblings. You try to help them achieve the highest, without making any of the dumb mistakes you did. Now your little sister is ready to jet set off to college. How can you help her on her college visits?   

1. Your first duty as older sister is to try desperately to persuade your sister into looking at the college you’re attending. Hello! SMU is great and you’d love to share the experience with her, even if it were only for a few semesters. 

2. When she refuses to even consider SMU, take a deep breath and keep an open mind. She’s ready to take the road less traveled. She dreams of the day when her teachers don’t say “oh, I had your older sister in my class.” 

3. Take a tour of her dream college with her. Look at the campus through her eyes and I promise you’ll get just as excited as she is. Also, remind your sister how important it is to choose a dorm that’s close to either the food or the building with all her classrooms. 

4. While you are touring the campus, make sure to stop and check out the nearby shopping and dining. Scope out all of the fun places she’ll be able to go with her friends once classes start.

5. Help her shop for the cutest game-day wear and the comfiest class t-shirts. If you’re nice, you might even be able to talk her into getting you a few, too. If you have to, remind her how many SMU shirts she received throughout your college experience. 

6. Don’t get overemotional, i.e., don’t start crying because she’s not only leaving the city, she’s leaving the state and she’s leaving you behind.  

7. Do get excited about her college of choice, and promise her you’ll visit all of the time.  

Alexis is a junior at Southern Methodist University and working towards a degree in secondary education and English with a specialization in creative writing.  Alexis is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and the president of Golden Key International Honor Society.  In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, dancing, and watching videos of puppies.  Food is her best friend and Pinterest quote boards are her guilty pleasure.  
We are the SMU Team.