kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To: Eat Out and Still Be Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Between meeting friends, going to lectures or labs, and not being a pro in the kitchen (hence a dorm room), we all will admit that when the time of hunger rolls around, most of us at SMU are likely to be found eating out at a restaurant. As students in Dallas, we have the luxury of countless restaurants right at our fingertips. Although eating out at restaurants is super convenient, we don’t always make the right food choices. Some of us may have found out (the hard way) that restaurant menus aren’t helping our dietary needs or our waistlines! So, here’s how to maintain our restaurant style routine, but in a healthier way.

Never Restrict… Many have said not to restrict ourselves from eating amazing foods because the world is full of so many flavors and varieties! That being said, create and maintain a good relationship with food – give yourself a cheat day and don’t feel guilty for splurging once and a while. Make sure that your eating a balance with most days leaning towards the healthy side.

Be proactive… Have a plan. If you know what restaurant you and your girl gang are going to, try looking up the menu beforehand. You are in control! Look for fresh food items and stay away from those that are processed. Ask for organic meats or wild caught fish. If there’s something on the menu that you just CANNOT resist (like amazing cheese fries), ask the table to share it with you and don’t get it as a solo main course.

CHOOSING A RESTAURANT

Mexican Food

Avocados are filled with healthy fats and are rich in omega 3! Instead of filling up on tortilla chips with guac, order veggies to dip into the guacamole. While enjoying Tex-Mex, try avoiding fried foods such as fried tacos or chimichangas. Instead, order tacos on corn tortillas with grilled fish or veggie fajitas. Order a side of beans (not refried), fresh lime margaritas (only if it’s not premixed) and you’re good to go!

Italian Food 

Pasta is so hard to resist! Pick a spot that has the freshest ingredients and preferably makes their own pasta – You’ll avoid white processed flour this way. Order lots of fresh cooked veggies that are mixed into some yummy marinara sauce. Pass on the garlic bread and all the heavy cream sauces.

Japanese Food 

Such a good go-to but can easily be miss ordered. Although sushi is low fat and high in protein, it is very possible to order too much. If you do order sushi, stick to the vegetable rolls or the fattier fish like salmon, yellow tail, or tuna. Eat a warm miso soup, seaweed salad, or a great greens and ginger salad to balance out the sushi. 

Vegan Food

The word “vegan” is easily misconstrued because it technically isn’t always healthy. Many people are “fat” vegans because they fill up on carbs and vegan junk food! For example, oreos and Jell-O happen to be vegan… Stay away from the fake meat (tofu and seitan) and instead stick to dishes that are full of vegetables – amp these up! There are some wonderful salads, stir-fries with brown rice, and healthy juices. Treat yo self to a little vegan dessert to top off a meal well done. 

SaveSave

My name is Charlotte Hayward and I'm pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Communication with a minor in Religious Studies. I previously wrote for Her Campus SMU in Dallas, TX but now attend SCU in California. I love to travel and am a health-nut! Check out my new articles on our Santa Clara HC site. 
We are the SMU Team.