How to Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

How to Avoid the “Freshman Fifteen”

“The Freshman 15”, every rising freshman’s biggest fear. We’ve all heard about it, we’ve all feared it, and unfortunately most of us have all even experienced it. From late night drunching to midday naps, the Freshman 15 is not hard to accomplish. Don’t worry though because there are so many different ways to avoid this “epidemic”.

1.     Healthy eating habits are crucial.

The earlier one develops healthy eating habits the better. Make eating healthy a routine you can carry on throughout not just college but your entire life. Come up with a food plan you can follow in college. Stick to the good carbs and refrain from any processed food or refined sugars.

2.     If you must snack at night, make sure to “snack smart”.

It is inevitable that one will snack late at night in college whether you are out drinking or are studying late in the library. Rather than completing banning late night eating, be realistic and come up with smart things to eat. Always keep fresh fruit and vegetables in your refrigerator so ordering a pizza is less tempting. Rice cakes and 100-calorie pop popcorn are delicious and satisfying snacks.

3.     Wear workout clothes to class!

Do not choose just eating healthy or just exercising. Do both! Working out is the easiest thing to skip when one’s day is completely full. Make working out a priority. Go to class wearing your clothes so you can workout straight after class or during a break in between classes.

4.     Drink smart

Drinking is one of the biggest contributors to the Freshman 15. It increases one’s calorie intake tremendously and also increases cravings. On average, one margarita consists of 550 calories, and a Pina Colada is close to 300 calories. Do not eat less in the hopes of saving calories because this is dangerous, but rather stick to drinks with the least calories. Always mix and chase with low calorie beverages such as diet coke or club soda. When in doubt, vodka soda with extra limes!

As you can see, there are many things one can do to avoid the weight gain college brings. Rather than being the student who comes home for Thanksgiving much heavier, be the person who comes back looking better than ever!