Healthy Frozen Meals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Every Collegiette™ experiences not having the time to prepare a good meal for herself. Whether it is during finals, midterms, or any time where peanut butter might be the only thing in your cupboard, the best option is to have a few frozen meals in the freezer.  During college many of us want to be healthy, but when times like these appear, Chick-Fil-A might become the quickest and easiest option. Even though the concept might seem unappetizing to some, many frozen entrees are available that actually can taste as good (and are packed with good-for-you ingredients) as a home-cooked meal, to help you avoid the chicken nuggets. Here are some tope picks:

Amy’s Light & Lean Black Bean & Cheese Enchilada

A yummy organic veggie enchilada  served with corn, carrots, and steaming brown rice.

Lean Cuisine Garden Vegetable Dip with Pita Bread

This dip is so delicious and creamy; you’ll be shocked that the who snack is only 150 calories.

Smart Ones Morning Express French Toast with Turkey Sausage

This cinnamon-infused bread doesn’t turn out soggy and the sausage is good too, a good breakfast all for under 300 calories.

evol. Bowls

Remove the tortilla, and you are left with a delicious evol. Bowl. These fiber and protein packed meals are hearty while still not ranking very high on the calorie scale. The wide variety of bowls you can choose from include teriyaki chicken and Fire grilled steak (my fave), as well as cheesy vegetarian options.

Amy’s Steel Cut Oatmeal

If you enjoy oatmeal as much as I do, you have to try these steel-cut oats. Once microwaved, these thick and creamy oats are quick meal that will leave you full for hours. Try the brown sugar flavor for a tasty treat!

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.