Happy Hour Hot Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Do you like food and alcohol? Do you like reduced prices? Put those together and what does it spell? H-A-P-P-Y-H-O-U-R! Whether you live on campus and want to keep it local or prefer the uptown scene, I’ve got you covered. Here are five Dallas spots to do happy hour:

1.     Olivella’s: If you’re into pizza and wine (let’s be real, who’s not?), this is the happy hour for you. If you live on campus, this is especially the happy hour for you because it’s right across Hillcrest. There are three happy hour specials.

A.     On Mondays, there are half priced bottles of wine from 5pm to close. 

B.     Monday to Friday from 2:30-5:30, if you purchase a Metro-sized pizza, you get a second of equal or lesser value for FREE.

C.     Last but most definitely not least: SANGRIA. Monday to Thursday until 5:30, Sangria pitchers are $10 with the purchase of any Metro-sized pizza. Also their Nutella dessert pizza is to die for.

2.     Banditos: For the on-campus ladies and margarita-lovers, Banditos is heaven. I’ve had many a marg, and Banditos’ ratio of deliciousness to strongness takes the cake. They have an afternoon happy hour and a late night happy hour.

A.     Monday to Wednesday from 4-6, they have $2 Schooners.

B.     Sunday to Thursday from 9-11 p.m., there are $3 Schooners and $5 MARGARITAS. Have two Skinny Ethyls before Homebar Thursday and you’re set for the night.

3.     Ozona: Also walking distance. Exercise balances out the calories you’re drinking, right? Yes, let’s go with that.

A.     Monday: $2 House Frozen Margaritas and $4 Ozona Frozen Margaritas

B.     Tuesday: $2 Domestic Longnecks

C.     Wednesday: $1.50 Domestic Drafts

D.    Thursday: Half-price bottles of wine and $2 well-drinks (hello vodka tonics pre-Homebar)

4.     The Old Monk: Here’s one for the upperclassmen. If you’re tired of the typical SMU Blvd. drinking scene, try out Old Monk on Henderson.

A.     Monday to Friday from 3-7, all draughts, house drinks, and well drinks are $1 off.

Also if you’ve never been here for brunch, go. Eggs Benedict for $8 is a steal and their Sparkling White Sangria is amazing.

5.     Blackfriar Pub: Can you tell I like pubs?

A.     Monday to Friday from 3-7 p.m., all draughts are $1 off.

The Irish pub has a beer garden in front and is decorated with antique woodwork that originally came from a castle in England- casual. Look for the heavily carved prayer panels and gothic arch back bar.

Happy drinking!

Senior at SMU studying journalism, fashion media, and photography.