Hair Trend: Braid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Hair Trend: Braids

Let’s be real—when have braids been out of style? Ever since we were little girls we’ve been rocking braids, so it’s safe to say most of us have mastered the plaiting art. Now, it’s about adding personal style. Check out these fun braiding trends for Fall and think of some ways to add your own twist—no pun intended.

The Classic Braid

There is no way to go wrong with a classic braid. It’s quick, easy, and versatile, and looks good on every face shape. One of my favorite ways to rock this look is a slicked-back, braided high ponytail—I’ve also seen this done with a half-braided ponytail and it looks great. I also love a messier take on this look. Get the straight-out-of-bed effect by tightly braiding your hair into a side pony or pigtails, then pulling the braids apart to loosen them.

Bohemian Braids

I love the Bohemian braid style because it allows you to be creative and use your own hair as an accessory—most styles involve the hair shaping the head in some way that mimics a headband. It is also an extremely versatile style, and can be worn casually or formally, and can be done with any style of braid.

The Fishtail Braid

This has to be my favorite braid of the season. The fishtail braid is similar to the classic braid, only the braids are thinner and have a shape similar to that of a fish bone. It seems tricky and may take a couple of tries to master, but once you get the hang of it, this braid is a quick and simple style and a great alternative for when you’re tired of the classic!

The Peek-A-Boo Braid

Just like the bohemian braid, the peek-a-boo braid is another way to use your hair as an accessory. This is also the easiest style because it’s probably something most of us do bored in class. Simply take a small strand of hair from anywhere on your head and braid it. You can do it to just one, or do a couple in your hair. Ultimately, the goal is for it to be barely noticeable—it peeks out to slightly accentuate your hair.

The French Braid

With the 90s making such a comeback, it’s no wonder this classic is reemerging as hot style. This braid goes with both edgy and feminine looks. Opt for the classic single braid down the back, or try something fun with pigtails.

Braided Chignons

This look seems like a wedding favorite on Pinterest. I’ve mostly only seen it as a formal style, just a remix of a twisted chignon, however it could also be worn as an alternative to a messy low bun. This style is great because the braid can be done in so many different ways, and braids can be added pretty much anywhere to it.