Freshmen Rules for Surviving First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Freshmen: Take notes off these key and crucial rules to having fun, keeping a good rep, and surviving first semester.

Rule #1: Don’t be the drunk, sloppy girl that can probably map out who lives in what room in every frat house. For us ladies, survival of the fittest is who can withstand the fake flattery and oh-too tempting sleepovers with frat boys the longest.

Rule #2: Get a planner. Staying organized is essential and there is no better way to do it than writing it out on a tangible schedule.

Rule #3: Make friends with your roommate. It is so much easier to go out and meet people with someone by your side…that extra boost of confidence is always a plus! The buddy system is the key to making it back to your room most nights.

Rule #4: GO OUT and meet as many people as you can. Don’t stick to a specific clique because you will end up limiting yourself to a small group. Everyone will be looking for friends to latch onto, so take advantage of the opportunity!

Rule #5: Get involved. You’ll find yourself with a shocking amount of down time this semester so why not get involved! It’s a great way to meet even more people and start building your résumé early.

Rule #6: Don’t take too heavy of a load for classes…ease into classes until you get the jist of it. You will be extremely overwhelmed when trying to balance 18 hours and a strong social life your first semester, so why not take 13-15 to let yourself get situated and figure out how this college thing works.

Rule #7: Go to class and look halfway decent…teachers understand that you are a freshman but they appreciate attendance and might be slightly easier on you for just purely showing up to that 8 am…and not in your outfit from last night.

Rule #8: Go home for fall break and catch up with the family…detox…and take a little breather. Although you might not be too homesick, your parents miss you like crazy and your liver might need the rest.

Rule #9: Stay away from becoming boy crazy. Don’t think that hot frat guy is telling you the truth when he says, “you’re different” or “come over and watch a movie”…at 2 in the AM. A frat guy is a frat guy and vulnerable freshman excited for “college experiences” isn’t going to change that.

Rule #10: Don’t tell anyone what sorority you want to be in or start fantasizing that you’re already in one…a lot can change during rush week and you never know who is listening…

Rule #11: Never drink more than three banditos margaritas at once…or the toilet will be your new best friend for the night. Sometimes three is even pushing it…but if you’ve got it paired with some chips and queso, you should be fine.

Rule #13: Do not bring your credit card out…only cash…or you will be broke after you drunkenly buy the whole bar a round.

Rule #14: Sorority betches are always watching…don’t show up to Pike Mansion in your best lingerie because they will find you…and they will remember you.

Rule #15: Don’t forget that alcohol has calories and that SMU offers an awesome gym…PROVE THAT FRESHMAN 15 WRONG!

Rule #16: Freshman year is the best year of your life. Remember to experience every minute of the boulevards, southern hospitality, and the freedom of college. Enjoy being a baby ‘stang.