Forget Pinterest check out our ‘studyspo’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Midterm season is almost over, and it is getting harder and harder to find motivation to study. Here at SMU though, there are a lot of places that we can find to go and hit the books. Here I have gathered some study inspiration- or “studyspo,” as it is dubbed on Tumblr blogs. Hopefully this can help motivate us all to stop scrolling through Pinterest and rewatching “Friends” on Netflix. Let’s all pledge to crack open a book and get that A!

Fondren Library is an amazing place to study. It has all sorts of spots, and it is open until one in the morning with the construction.

Study Tip: Use a highlighter code or different colors of pens to help you study. I use blue for people, pink for titles of works, orange for dates, and yellow for anything else important. This makes it way easier to visualize where the important information is!

The Underwood Law Library is fabulous because it is so quiet. There is literally an entire floor devoted to complete silence. It is about as far away as you can get from anything on campus, so the chance of you running into anyone who will distract you is low. (Plus there are cute law students here. Helllooooo!)

Study Tip: Highlight in your books. It will help you pull out what you need to remember while reading so that studying later isn’t just your eyes swimming across the page.

Study in your room. Here you can wear your slippers and have a snack without fear of disturbing anyone. You can play your music loudly or partner up with your roomie to hold you both accountable to work!

Study Tip: take a dance break. Sitting down to study can get boring and make you antsy, so every 45 minutes or so turn on some music and shake it out for a little bit. This will minimize that trapped “I have to work” whiny feeling.

So let’s all get down to business! Studying can be killer and super boring, but it has got to be done. Make yourself less panicked the night before your midterm and study in advance. Lay out all your books, highlighters, and your laptop and grab a cup of coffee. You won’t regret the studying when you get the exam back!

All photos courtesy of Moriah Raisis

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.