Elliott Bouillion says ‘Not on My Campus’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Elliott Bouillion can do it all. The SMU senior studying finance and economics still finds time outside his two majors and is involved in multiple campus organizations. His involvement includes Not On My Campus, Student Senate, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity and The Southern Gentleman Acapella Group- Bouillion is truly one well-rounded Mustang. 

Her Campus SMU: What are you involved with here on campus?

Elliott Bouillion: [I’m involved in] Not On My Campus, Student Senate, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity and The Southern Gentlemen Acapella Group. 

HC SMU: What is your favorite activity on campus you’re involved with?

EB: That’s a tough one, but I would have to say SoGents!

HC SMU: I know you’re involved with Not on My Campus. Can you tell me the organizations purpose, goals and current information (how many members, any upcoming events)?

EB: Not On My Campus was founded by Student Body President Ramon Trespalacios in 2013 in order to create a student-led campaign to end sexual assault on college campuses. What started as a social media campaign with an important message has developed into so much more. By going in and actively addressing this issue peer-to-peer with different organizations, fraternities, and sororities, we are able to encourage students to be upstanders and how to practice healthy relationships. Last spring, I was in touch with some passionate students at The University of Texas who saw the value in what we were doing and wanted to bring the movement to their campus. After working with UT and their IFC, they successfully brought NOMC to their campus. UT, being a large public university, was able to give NOMC so much national media exposure that other universities immediately contacted us at SMU asking for ways to get started. So, over this summer, I made the decision to make NOMC an organization here at SMU and become the national headquarters of NOMC. We are in such a unique position where we can foster the movement here to improve our campus and bring this campaign to other universities around the nation. I can’t wait to get started.

HC SMU: What do you hope for Not on My Campus to change SMU?

EB: I believe that one of the things that students can do at SMU to stop rape culture on campus is to be educated on the topic of consent.  Too frequently are there “gray-area” miscommunications and mistakes that leave people feeling confused and left alone. By actively leading discussions with the student body I believe we can define what consent is and create a safer environment for SMU students.

HC SMU: What do you plan to do after college?

EB: After college I plan on being a financial analyst/consultant at a Dallas or Houston-based firm.

HC SMU: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

EB: I am a triplet! I have two brothers. Andre studies engineering here at SMU and Ian is an actor at NYU.

HC SMU: Can you give advice to any first-year students? 

EB: Go out and get involved. Going to college gives students a fresh start to better themselves for the person they want to be. By finding the things you are passionate about you will be able to gain so much from your time here at SMU.

HC SMU: What is a motto or quote you live by?

EB:  “Don’t take yourself too seriously” -Anonymous

Courtesy of Elliott Bouillion

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.