jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eating healthy on campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

College is notorious for the dreadful “Freshman 15” and I know it’s something that’s constantly on the top of my mind.  After suffering an injury my first week in, I know that Dedman Rec was completely off limits when it came to making sure I was on track. These are some ways of not overindulging in all that Umph and Arnold had to offer. Here are some great ways to avoid gaining those unnecessary pounds!

Check out the dining hall menus!

Most girls plan their outfits for the next day but I’m guilty for planning out my meals. Having a crazy schedule means that I have to set specific times for eating daily and knowing exactly what to eat when I walk in, seriously helps with not getting distracted by the variety offered at both Umph and Arnold! SMU posts the menus for both dining halls each week and they have the calorie count option on them so that I know that I’m eating exactly what I need for each day.

Read the nutrition facts!

I’m guilty of not reading past the title on the TVs that display the dining hall options but the descriptions definitely help with selecting meals on the spot. If it comes down to it, do you really want to look up on your app what the calorie count on a cookie is? SMU tries to make it so that we’re not unconsciously grabbing four of the amazing cookies at Umph and splurging. Try reading under the big bolded print to find out if that’s exactly what you need in your diet. There’s a reason the salad bar doesn’t have one!

Visit the dietitian!

SMU really wants everyone, regardless of dietary needs, to stay strong, healthy and happy. The dietician is especially there to help with balancing meals. As a vegetarian, I knew that college was infamous for having a fried food diet but the dietician was able to help me plan out exactly what I needed to get vital nutrients everyday but also, appropriately eat that pizza and down gallons of sweet tea. Anyone can benefit from a visit with them! Email dietitian@smu.edu for scheduling that meeting.

Get an eating tracker!

I am absolutely in love with my FitBit. I wear it everywhere and it helps me track everything in my life. My long walks from Southeast Quad to Dallas Hall definitely help, even whilst injured, to make sure I don’t get too out of shape. Adding an eating tracker, in conjunction with a FitBit, really helps out to make sure you’re not eating too much of anything. Any healthy eater knows that moderation is the key so sneaking in that cookie isn’t necessarily a bad thing! Instead of having the hassle of writing down everything I eat, having my phone on me and just typing it in makes sure that it isn’t a nuisance.

Courtesy of SMU

Get in the exercise!

I know, personally, that eating healthy is only 50 percent of the struggle of staying in shape. Whether you may be into running the track or even around campus to the numerous classes that Dedman Rec offers, SMU has something for you to stay in shape and be the healthiest and happiest person you can be. The membership to Dedman is inclusive for all of us and it’s easy to make the decision to not exercise. Just remember that you don’t have to fall prey to the “Freshman 15” unless you choose to!

Feature Image: Courtesy of SMU

For more health and fitness, learn how use the Dedman Rec center!

Trina is a first year at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Originally from Wisconsin, she moved to Plano, Texas for high school, where the sweet tea convinced her that the South was her home for the rest of her life! She plans on pursuing a career in banking or in research and speaks Spanish fluently. Trina is a major foodie and has a serious case of wanderlust. She has been to forty states here at home, and also plans on hiking Machu Picchu next summer. For now, she plans on working for HC, continuing research and seeking out all food that the wonderful state of Texas has to offer!
We are the SMU Team.