This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

So the hot guy that you’ve had your eye on just asked you to go to his fraternity formal. You’re probably elated because he finally noticed you and now you get to have an super romantic night with him and his fraternity brothers. Its gonna be one for the books.

Do be careful what you wear

Yes you want to look sexy and you want the pictures to prove it, but please or everyone’s sake be careful about what you wear. Your towering heels are hot, I mean Beyoncé has the same pair, but when you’re a couple drinks in and you slip and fall it’s not gonna be pretty. Even worse, don’t be that girl who takes off her shoes. Find a pair of shoes that can stay comfortable all night. Wear a cute dress, but that doesn’t mean that we need to see your goods. If we can see your lady parts, it’s too much. See above: if you drink you will lose inhibitions and therefore not notice when your dress is no longer on your body.

Courtesy of Pinterest

Don’t try to keep up with the boys

Your date will be trying to impress his bros, and that means shots on shots. Know your limits ladies. Take it from someone who knows, trying to keep up with the boys doesn’t end well. Let your date drink what he wants, but if he overserves himself have a plan on how to help him get home. Here is a link to Jimmy Johns online ordering.

Do make friends

This seems like a no brainer but you would be shocked at the number of people who don’t try to make new friends at fraternity functions. Even if you don’t know anybody there, it’ll be okay. Make an effort to play a round of pong or talk to the random girl who wants someone to go to the bathroom with her. You never know, you may meet somebody really cool.

Courtesy of Pinterest

Don’t be demanding

This night isn’t about you. Be aware that while he invited you, it’s still his event. Be on time, don’t ask to retake a photo a million times because the lighting was off and don’t demand vodka if all the guys have is beer. Go with the flow. Your date, his friends and all the other girls will notice, appreciate it and like you more for it.

Don’t hook up with another guy

You laugh. But this happens a lot. Don’t do it. Your date might have the hottest pledge brother ever, but try to make moves on him later. It’s rude. It isn’t classy. Everyone will find out so refrain from making your way through the fraternity in one night. 

CarleeAnn Allen is a senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Journalism and Psychology. Between finding new places to eat and pretending she has her life together, she enjoys taking naps and being active in her sorority.
We are the SMU Team.