Don’t Get Mad, Get to Work: Positive Ways to Channel Your Election Anger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

So, the 2016 presidential election is finally over…and Donald Trump has been elected president. Needless to say, a lot of people are pretty upset. While we all hoped the drama would conclude on election night, the protests, frustration, and Twitter wars are all worse than ever before. However, if you are upset by the results of the election, know this: there are ways to respond to America’s choice (besides internally screaming). You are absolutely allowed to feel angry, but once that anger has subsided, it’s time to take action. Here are some ways to channel your anger and change the political climate- right here on the SMU campus.

1. Check out the SMU Women’s and LGBT Center

They’ll provide you with education and resources to effectively advocate for female and LGBT equality. You can also go there with any questions, or concerns regarding women’s and LGBT issues. If they can’t help you themselves, they’ll be able to refer you to the right place. Also, they host Spectrum, SMU’s LGBTQA organization!

2. Get involved with Not on My Campus

Not on My Campus is a campaign to foster sexual assault awareness and a healthy campus culture. Even though the campaign exists at multiple universities, it was started right here at SMU! They accept new members all year long so you help them educate the SMU community on how to identify, report, and prevent sexual assault.

3. Join Amnesty International

Amnesty International is the student-led human rights organization on campus. If you’re passionate about local and international human rights issues, this is the place for you. They’re always accepting new members, as well! And even though human rights abuses can be tough to talk about, and overwhelming to tackle, a lot of their events are actually really fun! Consider joining the “famnesty!”

4. Join the College Republicans or College Democrats

This is a great way to stay active in politics even post-election. They’ll connect you with the party as a whole so you can hear speakers, take advantage of volunteering opportunities, and share your concerns.

5. Look into the Women’s Interest Network

They sponsor lots of events regarding women’s rights, such as Take Back the Night! If you’re passionate about gender equality, and dismantling the patriarchy- this is the squad for you. 

6. Check out League of the United Latin American Citizens

LULAC is a great way to get involved if you’re passionate about the well-being of the Latin-American Community. They describe themselves by saying, “The SMU LULAC is a socio-political student organization which focuses on creating an active minority presence on the SMU campus and community while making a difference. [They] strive to promote leadership and empowerment through political participation, personal enrichment and community involvement.”

7. Look into Mustangs for Life

If you’re passionate about the pro-life cause, this group is for you! While many are celebrating this election as a victory for the movement, some are also lamenting that Donald Trump will be the face of their cause. So, if you want a say in how the SMU community perceives the pro-life community and ideals, then join up and get to work!

8. Get involved with the SMU Political Science Symposium

This group’s goal is to increase political awareness without catering to partisan bias. They bring in speakers on topics like public policy, economics, philosophy, and communication. Stop by one of their meetings to stay informed on political issues. Because of the interdisciplinary nature of their activities, you’ll probably learn something new!

9. Check out Sisters Supporting Sisters

This women’s organization describes itself by writing, “The Sisters Supporting Sisters Organization was established by and for diverse women with common interests and goals, to promote sisterhood and provide support for all!” So, if you’re passionate about women supporting other women, this is a great way for you to get involved!

10. Join the United Students Association

This group is all about unity (something we desperately need right now). They work with other student organizations to bring people together, and have the tough, but necessary, conversations about how to unite our campus community. They also bring in guest speakers to host workshops. At the end of the day, they’re working toward what we all want: a diverse but united SMU community.

SaveSave

Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
We are the SMU Team.