This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Courtesy of Moxie Moms

The end of the Halloween season has arrived, but that means it’s the start of the Thanksgiving season! While you’re waiting for the food-filled, family fun holiday, here are a few holidays you’ll love celebrating in the meantime!

November 3: Sandwich Day

That’s right, this is the real deal. Here’s a little hilarious history on the sandwich: Way back when, John Montagu was the fourth Earl of Sandwich. The Brit was a heavy gambler and spent a lot of time in London’s gambling parlors. In 1762, he created the sandwich, by putting meat between two pieces of bread so he could gambling for long periods of time!

Courtesy of  RecipeReminiscing

We do have some pretty delicious sandwich options at Umph and Arnold, why not celebrate over a round of Texas Hold ’em?

November 6: National Nachos Day

A day to rejoice one of the most savory, gooey snacks! Celebrate this delicious day at one of the sporting events happening that Friday, including our home football game against Temple!

Courtesy of Recipe.com

November 7: Book Lovers’ Day

If there was ever a day to curl up with hot cocoa and a good book, the seventh of November would be it! More than halfway through the semester, it’s high time you treat yourself to a break!

Courtesy of TWU Libraries

November 11: Veterans’ Day

Veterans’ Day is celebrated every year on November 11 to honor all the armed forces who have served their country. Originally called Armistice Day, the holiday got a name-change from President Eisenhower in 1954 and has lived on for the past 61 years. Celebrate with some delicious barbeque, Americana apparel, and thank a veteran!

Courtesy of Live Creatively Inspired

November 13: Sadie Hawkins Day

Remember those Sadie Hawkins high school dances? They’re based on a comic called “Lil Abner” back in the 30’s. A woman, Sadie Hawkins, participated in a footrace to literally catch her husband. The evening before the race, the girls participating the race would wear spiked shoes to a dance and step on the feet of those they wanted to catch the following day! Now, finding and catching the object of her affection isn’t so hard, one need only ask! Pluck up your courage on Sadie Hawkins Day and ask that cutie on the next floor up on a date!

Courtesy of ThatTeenageGirll

November 25-29: Thanksgiving Break

Just a few weeks to go until we can all return to our respective families, loads of food, and celebrate another weekend of major discounts including Black Friday and Cyber Monday! It all starts Thursday, Nov. 26 with Thanksgiving. And for all of you looking forward to the annual Thanksgiving tradition, the Cowboys will be playing at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on CBS against the Carolina Panthers.

Images Courtesy of Fan-Zone, AirPadre, Robbins Chevy, and Relevance

Callie is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, double-majoring in French and Fashion Media and minoring in Journalism.
We are the SMU Team.