This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

As the weather starts to cool off, you may find yourself heating up with someone else.  Fall in Dallas is the perfect time to explore, so why not get out there and make it a date. 

Get Out There…

If you haven’t yet visited the modern park that spans above Woodall Rogers, bridging between uptown and downtown, a casual date is the perfect excuse to stop by Klyde Warren.  Take advantage of Dallas’ sunny and warm fall weather during the day or stop by in the evening because there is always something going on.  Free classes like yoga and guitar are offered daily as well, so check the schedule online or just agree to wing it.  A variety of food trucks allow for a spontaneous picnic no matter what you are in the mood for.  Savor and Lark On the Park are also on the park’s edge if you want to turn a trip to the park into drinks or a dinner date.    

White Rock Lake is the perfect destination for a weekend afternoon.  Canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards are available to rent if you’re feeling adventurous and if not, its still a great place for a picnic, a walk, or just a place to layout and people watch.  The park even has a large dog park if you are just feeling like you need some quality puppy time.  

If you are a couple who likes to get a little competitive, Top Golf is a great date spot for two or for a group.  As the weather starts to get cooler, large heaters keep you warm on the driving range and the big screens are on so he doesn’t have to miss the game (and keep tabs on his fantasy players).  The fishbowl-like drinks are pretty amazing, and not just because they light up.  

And Get Cultured…

Dallas is home to many outdoor public works of art and the Dallas ArtWalk is a cool way to see many of them while exploring the city.  The self-guided tour is a 3.3 mile walk through downtown and the Arts District and is completely free with maps available online.

A visit to the Dallas Arboretum should be on every fall bucket list. The Pumpkin Village is constructed every year as part of the Autumn at the Arboretum festival.  This year it will be constructed out of over 75,000 pumpkins and gourds and will feature a Texas mosaic made entirely out of pumpkins.        

Let your inner-child run wild at the Perot Museum’s Social Science after-hours event on October 23.  From 7-11 p.m. enjoy local bites and sips while learning about current research and getting access to new exhibits without the long lines.  You must be 21 to attend the event and tickets are available on the Perot’s website. 

If you like to Party…

Every Thursday starting at 4 p.m. Proof + Panty in the Arts District hosts Oysters & Champagne Thursdays.  Enjoy huge savings on Ruinart champagne paired with 25 cent oysters.  Oysters aren’t for everyone, but tacos are a different story. Make sure to get your tickets online for the Dallas Observer’s Tacolandia event at City Hall Plaza.  It is strictly a 21-and-up event where Dallas restaurants will compete for the title of being home to the best taco in Dallas.  With no boulevard that weekend, why not drink (and eat) in celebration of tacos.

If you’ve outgrown the Rose or O/T or are just looking for something to do before, head to Sundown on Granada for half-priced whiskey and free movies on Wednesday nights.  The location on lower Greenville make it perfect for something to do after dinner or before checking out all the new bars down the road.  

Deep Ellum has become Dallas’ new “it” neighborhood, so after exploring a little why not stop by the Deep Ellum Brewery for a tour.  Tours are offered on Thursday nights from 6 to 8 and Saturday afternoons from noon to 3.  For $15, tour the brewery and receive a DEBC glass while listening to live music.  Walk over to the Buzzbrews after party for deals on food and beer or hit up the many food trucks outside the brewery.   

Not So Typical Dinner & A Movie…

Head to Studio Movie Grill for dinner with your movie.  Order from their extensive menu and have your food delivered to your seat.  They also have a full bar with huge margaritas and spiked milkshakes at both locations.  

The drive south to Ennis, Texas is well worth a visit to the Galaxy Drive-In Movie Theater.  It’s definitely a cool experience to see a new release while feeling like you have been transported back to the 1950s.  If you are looking for some weekday fun closer to campus during the month of October, the Dallas Film Society has you covered.  On October 7,14, and 21, bring your own blankets and chairs and head to the South Alley in the West Village for a free showing of “Clueless,” “Zoolander,” and “The Devil Wears Prada.”  The movies start at 8:30 p.m. but live entertainment kicks off at 7:30 p.m.   

SMU Senior from Nashville, TN majoring in Advertising with a minor in Fashion Media.  
We are the SMU Team.