Dallas Brunching: Your 14–Week Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With two weeks under your belt already, it may be crazy to believe that there are only 14 weekends left in this first semester. If you are a freshman that may seem like a thousand years; if you’re a senior, that probably sounds a little scarier. Either way, though, in 14 weeks this semester will be over. So, as the semester kicks in to gear, in order to prepare you for that 14-week grind, I’ve created a guide. As a first-year, you may not have come in prepared for it, but as a returning SMU student you know, Saturday mornings are for brunching. So, as a courtesy to my fellow classmates, I’ve compiled the ultimate 14–week guide to brunching in Dallas.

1. The Rustic

Location: 3656 Howell St. Dallas, Texas 75204

As one of SMU students preferred brunch locations, this place is all about atmosphere. The Rustic serves a family style “Jam & Toast” brunch from 10AM-2PM every Saturday and Sunday. There is indoor and outdoor seating, but most people opt for the outdoor picnic tables in the “backyard” and enjoy the hanging lights, live music, and hustle and bustle of morning.

Important note: Many of the drinks can be served by the pitcher, and the live music begins at 12:30PM.

2. Villa O

Location: 4514 Travis St.

Villa O’s weekend brunch is self-described as the place “to see and be seen”. Though primarily Italian, their brunch menu has an array of breakfast foods to munch on as well as an intricate drink menu. Weekends also provide us with drink specials.

3. Henry’s Majestic

Location: 4900 McKinney Ave. @ Monticello, Dallas, TX

With brunch available Saturday and Sunday from 10AM-4PM, Henry’s Majestic is perfect for those days that start after rolling out of bed around 1PM. Its casual atmosphere and large menu make brunching easy. However, if you’re indecisive go with the avocado toast; it never fails.

Important note: Their motto is “Good Food. Strong Drink.” So, you know it’s always a good option.

4. St. Anne’s

Location: 2501 N. Harwood St., Dallas, TX 75201

St. Anne’s is the small group go-to. Reservations are highly encouraged and are worth the extra effort. It’s a bit fancier than the others listed thus far and is great for after church. They serve brunch Saturday and Sunday from 11AM to 3PM.

5. Oddfellows

Location: 316 W 7th St. Dallas, TX 75208

Located in the Bishop Arts District, Oddfellows is perfect for when you’re in the mood for some hipster vibes. With its cute industrial feel, it won’t disappoint. The menu has all things breakfast. If you’re with a group, order the RSVP Carafe. The dress is anything from your pajamas to your edgy platform sandals and a choker.

Important note: They don’t take brunch reservations.

6. Yolk

Location: 1722 Routh St., Dallas, TX 75201

Though it’s not your typical brunch place, Yolk shouldn’t be left off the list. It is a chain restaurant found in Chicago and Ft. Worth, and it’s very casual. This is the kind of place for close friends who just want some good breakfast food.

Important note: They serve a number of things that aren’t eggs.

7. Mercat Bistro

Location: Next Door to Henry’s Majestic

A European inspired eatery, Mercat Bistro serves brunch every Saturday from 9AM to 2PM and Sunday from 10AM to 3PM. With a more eclectic menu, Mercat is a place to go with fun and adventurous friends. It’s intimate setting also makes for a great morning date– like I said, adventurous.

8. Breadwinners Café

Location: 3301 McKinney Ave • Dallas, TX 75204 and 8687 N. Central Expressway (on the CenterPark Garden) • Dallas TX, 75225

This is the spot for Parents Weekend and Homecoming. It’s convenient, not too nice or too casual, and it’s yummy. Brunch is served Saturday from 7AM-4PM and Sunday from 8AM-4PM. Reservations are definitely needed as it is so popular. Its locations are prime, especially the NorthPark Center Location because, shopping.

Important Note: They call their drinks Hangover Elixers, so check them out.

9. DragonFly at Hotel ZaZa

Location: 2332 Leonard St., Dallas, TX 75201

If you can’t tell from the name, DragonFly is a different sort of brunch experience. Located in Hotel Zaza, DragonFly is not the easiest to find, and for many, not the easiest to order from. Its menu is New American with Asian influences. This is place for a celebration brunch, a birthday, graduation, anniversary. The attire, as well as the food is on the fancier side, and therefore, it is slightly pricier. However, if you have something to celebrate, it’s definitely worth the extra cash.

10. Lark on the Park

Location: 2015 Woodall Rodgers FWY, Dallas, TX 75201

If you’re feeling artsy, Lark on the Park is a great option. With new artwork redone every season it’s a great place to channel your inner artist. Brunch is served every Saturday and Sunday and the menu is huge and so are the servings.

Important Notes: The mimosa carafe is only $15.

11. Public School 214

Location: 3700 McKinney Ave

French Toast. That is all.

Important Note: Brunch Starts 11AM Saturday and Sunday

12. Jonathan’s Oak Cliff

Location: 1111 N. Beckley Ave., Dallas, TX 75203

Jonathan’s is a delicious, yummy, carb overload. From berries and cream waffles to biscuits and gravy, this place will not let you down. It’s also wallet friendly, so that’s always a plus. There’s also a Build Your Own Bloody Mary Bar so props, Jon, props.

13. Penne Pomodoro

Location: 6815 Snider Plaza, University Park, TX 75205

Walking distance from campus, Penne’s Italian cuisine is perfect for an easy brunch, without spending money on an Uber. Though the menu is small, the ease makes it worth it.

Important Note: I’ve heard they often have $1 mimosa specials as well.

14. Bubba’s

Location: 6616 Hillcrest Ave., Dallas, TX 75205

Also, just a short walking distance from campus, Bubbas is located on Hillcrest. Though this is not a typical brunch atmosphere, it’s perfect for a late Saturday morning breakfast with friends. Its home style cooking is delicious and its casual feel is reassuring in itself. Bubba’s has more of a hometown diner feel than an upscale brunch vibe, but sometimes, that’s just what you need. 

Feature photo courtesy of Calculated Traveller

SaveSave

Gabby is a sophomore at SMU majoring in Creative Advertising and Fashion Media and minoring in Graphic Design. She is a member of Tri Delta, and she loves traveling, puppies, and all things art. You can follow her on Instagram @gabrielle_grubb
We are the SMU Team.