Cut Your Coffee’s Calories: The SMU Bookstore Starbucks Now Offers Truvia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

In my 8 a.m. class, my professor always jokes that students are able to make it to Starbucks before his class, but somehow can’t find time to finish their homework.  He shouldn’t’ take it personally though because SMU Collegiettes™ truly cannot survive without their Starbucks coffee.  If we were stuck on a desert island, our necessities would probably be food, Facebook, and then Starbucks coffee. However, the only time we find ourselves hesitating to make that Starbucks run is when we think about the calories.  Well, our Barnes & Noble Starbucks Cafe now has the answer: Truvia.

Truvia® is a zero-calorie all natural sweetener made of rebiana and is completely safe.  The FDA has no objections and supports the safety of rebiana.  It is even safe for diabetics because it does not alter your blood sugar lever.  Just one packet of Truvia® natural sweetener provides the same sweetness as two teaspoons of sugar.

The best part of Truvia® is its honestly sweet taste.  Unlike other sweeteners that either taste granulated or just too sweet, Truiva® had a clean, sweet taste.  It is available in boxes of 40-count ($3.99), 80-count ($6.49) and 140-count ($10.99) packets at the Kroger, Whole Foods, and Target right by campus.

Still not convinced that Truvia® is the best tasting sweetener out there?  Well, you might have actually used Truvia® and not have known it.  Truvia® is used in vitaminwater10™, Sprite®Green, Kraft Crystal Light Pure, Dippin’ Dots© Chillz™, Powerade Play™, and Minute Maid Premium® Pomegranate Tea just to name a few!

Visit www.truvia.com for delicious recipes and more information.  Next time you are at the SMU Barnes & Noble Starbucks Café make sure to try Truvia.  As it says on their site, “Spoon Truvia in your coffee. It won’t end up on your conscience or your thighs.”

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.