Crafting for Big Little

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Big Little is just around the corner.  Along with all of that sorority gear you give your little, you need a few unique items made by you.  So, it’s time for everyone to get crafty. Many sorority members get started early by crafting for their future little months in advance, but for all of those procrastinators we’ve got some simple DIY ideas for perfect gifts.  The first step to finding designs for crafts would be to look on Pinterest.  This website has a ton of ideas for every sorority.  We’ve picked a few of our favorites to show you.

Decorated Letters

These are an awesome gift for any little.  You can order plain Greek letters for your sorority online and then decorate them however you like! They can be decorated with paints, rhinestones, flowers, etc.  You can find cute patterns online or you can make up your own.  A lot of girls use the colors of their sorority, but you can use other colors to give them a unique look.  They make a great wall decoration and can be passed down in your family. 

Painted Canvasses

Many sorority girls paint canvasses with a unique saying for their little. You can also get creative with these by making your own sayings and designs, but if you are not that creative there are plenty you can find online to re-create.  Your sorority’s symbol is also a cool thing to paint on a canvas.  I would suggest adding a little sparkle by sprinkling glitter on your painted canvas or by using glitter paint.  It is an easy way to make your canvas stand out.

Picture Frames

These are a great gift because you can include a picture of you and your little.  You can buy wooden frames to paint, or you can buy premade frames to bedazzle.  Either way, you can incorporate your sorority into the frame.  But, if you do make a picture frame do not put a picture of you in it until your little knows who her big is because that would ruin the surprise!

Coolers and Bins

Obviously when you are making all of these crafts you will need something to hold them all! A cooler or bin is a great way to give your little all of her gifts.  Coolers are not just for guys; you can make one for your little too! They do take a little more time than bins only because you have to sand and prime a cooler before painting it.  Both are awesome ways to make your little’s gift that much better.  Designs for these can be traced on tissue paper and outlined in a sharpie on the bin or cooler to give you a guideline of what to paint.  These will take a little time to paint, but they will definitely be worth it in the end. 

After you have made all of these things you can officially call yourself a big.  Your little will love all of the hard work you put into Big Little Week, so make sure to go all out! 

Broadcast Journalism Major Advertising Minor From Orange County, California
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor