This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Charlie Weber is not your typical business major.  He also has an interest in theater.  As a member of SMU Program Council, he serves as the Sing Song Chairman.  Sing Song is a competition put on by Program Council in which different groups of SMU students put together short theatrical pieces including both singing and dancing and compete in McFarlin Auditorium.  Charlie Plans to make some changes to the annual event to make this year’s Sing Song even better than years past.  He has been working all year to prepare a show no one will want to miss.  Her Campus got an interview with Charlie to find out more about the event. 

Why did you want to be in charge of Sing Song?

I wanted to have a good time and create something awesome for SMU.  I think I can make Sing Song the best it can be. 

What is your definition of Sing Song?

Sing Song is an annual tradition at SMU that is coordinated and produced by SMU Program Council. Sing Song is ultimately a competition between groups and organizations across campus. Each Sing Song group works with their chosen theme to create a twelve minute theatrical piece filled with music and dance. 

How is this year’s Sing Song going to be different than last year’s?

This year’s theme is “Pop Icons” and it is going to be a Sing Song like no one has seen before. Groups have chosen pop music artists from Britney Spears to Justin Timberlake to create their twelve minute pieces. Program Council has many surprises in store for this year’s Sing Song that will be revealed the night of the show. We are creating brand-new Sing Song experiences. Sing Song is going to be one big pop music spectacular from start to finish. 

How do you think Sing Song incorporates the entire student body?

Sing Song brings together over 450 students from across campus from all different groups and organizations throughout the auditions and rehearsal process. However, Sing Song is open to any group and organization on campus. This year eight groups applied to perform in the show and SMU will see five of those eight at the final competition. Sing Song is not only for the performing groups, but for the entire SMU population. It’s a celebration of community and team-work on our campus.

What is your favorite part about the job?

Getting to meet all of the groups at the beginning and watch them grow throughout the process. 

Broadcast Journalism Major Advertising Minor From Orange County, California
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor